Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Having trouble bleeding the brakes after I changed the front

Customer Question

having trouble bleeding the brakes after I changed the front calipers,
JA: How many miles are on the car? Are these the orignial brakes?
Customer: 200000 miles, original brakes , original calipers
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2004 trailblazer LS
JA: Are you fixing your Trailblazer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, pump the brake pedal and hold, then bleed the caliper
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: think I am not waiting long enough for the master cylinder to fill
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.

HI,

Ok, the most common issue is installing the new calipers on the wrong sides - they fit either side but are actually side specific for correct bleeder screw replacement.

Look at the calipers you installed. Are the bleeder screws below or above the brake hose to caliper connection?

If they are below, then you have them on the wrong side. When the bleeders are below the connection, there is always an air bubble at top caliper that will never bleed out. Swap sides with the calipers and bleed them and you are good to go.

See attached diagram showing correct location with bleeder above the brake hose to caliper connection

If they are correct, let me know and we will go from there

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks