Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2010 chevy malibu coolant boiling in tank but fans are

working, gages go to hot...
2010 chevy malibu coolant boiling in tank but fans are working, gages go to hot then back down comes and gose. help please
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/22/2017
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

what size engine is in this car ?

when its showing hot are both radiators very hot ? or is one cold and one hot ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2.4 and what do you mean bolt radiators it only has one and its hot cause im not opening it while the tank is boiling

both radiator hoses

i left it out when i typed

are they both hot and the radiator fan is running ?

has the coolant been tested for any emissions in it yet ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No

i would pick up a test kit called block tester at any local parts store and test the coolant

if it fails the test then the head gasket is usually the issue

if its positive then the system needs a flush or a water pump

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry for that i found out its leaking behind the water pump and know im trying to find that tool to hold the front of the waterpump

ok

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well I'm back everything was ok when i ran it and check for leaks but when he drove home he stop at the gas station for gas and then it wouldn't crank back up his dad came out and gave him a jump and then it crank finally but when it crank up it was blowning white smoke out of the exhaust then it cleared up but he said on the way home the temp needle went al the way up. I have it again and there's know water leak but the coolant level is low. I cheched the oil crankcase for water but there's know signs of coolant. I took the exhaust domn checking for a clog converter nothing no water or nothing I'm lost now other then thinking it's a crack head or something please avise before i make that decision.

if its smoking out the exhaust and it is loosing coolant then it is more than likely getting into the cylinders from a bad head gasket or a warped or cracked head

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will let you know what happens when i put everything back together and check it again. Ok

ok

Gary
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician