Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

Second opinion] I just changed the oil pan seal on my 2000

Customer Question

Second opinion] I just changed the oil pan seal on my 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 (5.3l engine) and now I am getting a no oil pressure error and the truck just dies.JA: Does the vehicle have a carburetor?Customer: Fuel injectedJA: Are you fixing your Silverado 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?Customer: I checked my oil pressure connection on the oil pan and it was connected correctly.JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?Customer: no
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

Remove the oil pressure sensor and screw in a oil pressure hand held tester into that hole and check the real oil pressure. If it's ok, then the problem is with the sensor and/or wiring. If the oil pressure is really low, I would not run that engine anymore until you find out what is the problem. Make sure you don't have 2 gaskets on the engine oil filter. I don't know even if that leaked if that would cause low oil pressure but I have seen people miss that the gasket or o-ring had stuck to the block surface when removing the oil filer, than they put on a new gasket/o-ring and it ends up having 2 gaskets/O-rings and it leaks.

Other than that you may have to drop the pan again and check the pickup tube for being loose. I doubt if the oil pump took a dump on you that quick.