kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

I replaced motor in my 2005 Chevy equinox and now it doesn't

I replaced motor in my 2005 Chevy equinox and now it doesn't turn over, I can jump the starter and it cranks but no start the vehicle ran prior to pulling motor. I checked all connections and they are good
JA: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?
Customer: Single
JA: Are you fixing your Equinox yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I tried relearn computer but it still no crank
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Appears gas gauge quit working at same time

Did you do the 30 minute relearn on the security system? I see that you said you did the relearn on the computer, how did you do that?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did the 30 minute relear and still no crank

Can you describe how you did it?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Put the ignition to run for thirty minutes and than turn to off fit ten minutes and then back to run and then turned off and removed key and then tried to start ,no luck

You have to turn the switch form off to start then to run. Here are the correct steps.

Here are the steps.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Completed relearn on computer and still no crank

Did you do the relearn I posted?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I never seen anything in dash that said theft so I just waited ten minutes between cycles

In the lower part of your tach on the left side of center there should be a car with a lock on it. That is the security light.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Their is a car with a wrench in in on the left top and a engine below that but no car with a lock in it

Disconnect the battery again for 10 minutes. Then reconnect it, turn the ignition switch from off straight to run and let the starter bump the engine and then let the switch go back to run. See if the car with a lock shows up at the bottom left of the tach please. You may have locked out the relearn and need to reset it.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will tomorrow and get back to you

Ok. Just drop me a line when you are ready to get back to it.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay I disconnected battery for ten minutes and then reconnected it still the same. But I did locate the car with a lock in it bottom left of speedometer and when you turn car to run it goes out in about three to five seconds and does not come back on until you cycle the key. I know when you try to start vehicle the fuel pump comes on and the electronic throttle cycles but no crank I tried to scan computer but it will not connect and I noticed gas gauge is not working. I replaced the starter relay and fuse and still nothing. I have checked the rest of the fuses and they are good Any thing I missing you can think of

Do you have a test light so we can do some testing?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Connect your test light to a good ground, and then test both sides of all the fuses in both fuse boxes and tell me what fuses only have power to one side and what fuses have no power on them with the ignition switch in the run position please. And yes this is very important for me to know so I will know where to start the testing to see why it will not start.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
They are all good except 10 amp start fuse ,the one next to starter relay

Are you saying that all the fuses have power to both sides of them in both fuse boxes?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
but the 10 amp start fuse next to starter relay has no voltage on either side

Did you test them for ohms or power? Not all of the fuses should have power on them with just the switch in the run position.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Checked them for power and they all had power to both sides when the key was in run position, I jumped the starter and checked for spark from coil and had nothing, but the fuel pump powered up and the throttle cycyled. I also checked grand on block and transmission and they were good. I know I am missing something but can't figure it out

Then we have a long list of testing to do. Do you have a few minuts to go over them?

I will also need to know if this is an awd truck?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it just front wheel drive with 3400 motor

Do you have a helper?

When you replaced the engine did you pull just the engine or did you pull engine and trans?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No helper and I only removed motor and it sat for two weeks before I put new motor in.

Have you double checked the plug on the gear selector switch on the transmission? Is the plug loose, or the switch broken?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I checked the connection , it was never disconnected but it appears to be properly connected

Does your starter solenoid have two small post on it or just one?

The posts are where the purple wire connects.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I put a clip on jumper wire so I could check for voltage while I attempted to crank and no voltage and the same on starter fuse no voltage there while cranking either

At the bell housing there are two studded bell bolts, one has the main ground wire from the battery on it and on the top left there should be 2 or 3 ground wires connected there. Are the wires there and are the nuts tight that hold the wires to the bell bolts?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I checked and they are there and tight

Did any of them break off of there eyelets?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have only one stud bolt and it has the battery ground and a single wire connected to it

Double check, there should be at least 2 if not three wires and the main ground wire.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay, I will have to remove battery and crossover pipe to get a good look

Make sure you look up in the plastic cover over the wire harness just to make sure it did not get stuck in to the covering and you did not see them.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay checked the grounds, I checked and their is only a battery ground wire and a small ground wire on transmission and a ground on the passenger side of engine in the rear and they were good

So I will know best where to go next, can you get to any of the injector plugs with out pulling the intake off?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
number six

Connect your test light to a good positive power source and probe the yellow wire with a black strip. Have some one turn he engine over and see if the test light flashes. If it does not, connect your test light to a good ground and test the pink wire with the ignition switch in the run and start position and see if you have power to the pink wire please.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The motor doesn't crank unless I jump the starter, do you need me to do that also

Yes. I am sorry I forgot to put that in the directions.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No flash on yellow wire and constant voltage on other wire. You out of suggestions

I believe that you are missing a ground to the pcm. I am sorry I fell asleep. When can we do some testing on the cm plugs to see what we are missing?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I been researching for grounds and I can't find anything showing ground for eco, do you have any ideals where else to look. I still think it has something to do with the security but when you turn the key to run the light goes out after a few seconds

I do not think this is in the security system. Let me see if I can find diagram that will show you where all of the grounds are.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok just let me know thanks

Check the ground to the inner fender from the battery and double check the plugs going into the pcm and make sure the are seated correctly. I am sorry but I do not have any diagrams showing the locations for the ground. If these check out ok, then we will have to do some testing with your meter and test light to find the problem.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I already did that and everything checked ok I even added an extra ground to motor and frame ,still no luck

When will you have time to do some testing?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I found the cranking problem, it was a bad terminal on the transmission control module of all things. The vehicle now will crank but still have no spark or injector pulse. I put scanner on and now it does read data now and had code for number six injector open , which is right since I have it disconnected for testing purpose, it came up with code p0340 , which is cam senser bad. I will replace it tomorrow when I can buy one, but I did replaced the crank Spenser with one from prior motor which was known to be good. I hoping different year motors won't make a problem, then looked the same and was only two years newer out of a 2007 equinox

They should be the same engine. My interchange tells me they are a swap with slight differences. If the cam sensor is not reading correctly, then yes that will keep the injectors from working. Make sure to get a cam sensor for your truck, not the new engine just in case the two are different electrically. When you try to start the engine, does the security light come on and stay on now with the switch in run?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The security light still goes off after couple seconds I was going to use cam Senser from old motor but the diameter is bigger on the new motor

Let me look up the two of them and make sure the wires run the same on the both of them.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay thanks
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay thanks

Can you look at the main plug for the injectors and cam sensor and see if you have the same number of wires on the engine side as you do the car side of the two plugs? I think pin n in the engine side is not there and you may have to run a wire from the plug to the cam sensor. Also see if you have three wires at the cam sensor.

Pin N in the engine side of the plug will be a dark blue wire.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
They both had 14 pins and had a blue wire was unable to tell if it was pin n or not ,did not see and letters and both senses were three wire just different diameter

But do both plugs have 14 wires in them?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Do you have the old engine still? Do all the wire colors match each other in the two plugs in the main plug?

If you have the old engine, make sure the wire colors are in the same locations in the cam sensor plugs please. They outer wires may have been swapped out in the two harnesses.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok I will check it out tomorrow thanks

You are very welcome.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok I have replaced the cam senser and ohm all the wiring and everything was good, I checked the plug to cam senser and the engine harness and they ohm good and same color wire going to the proper pins. I know if the crank senser isn't working properly it will give the same code , almost sure. I did some more digging on a 2007 block and a 2005 block. In 2007 they change the crank with bigger journals and I was wondering if the might have change the reluctor wheel. I didn't check the 2007 motor but I did check old motor and it has 24 lugs on the reluctor wheel, do you have any ideal how many their are on the 2007 motor. I have went thru all the wiring and everything is connected correctly and all the fuses are good

Are you getting a cam sensor code or a crank sensor code? What is the code number you are getting?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am getting a cam senser code p0340

The crank sensor and reluctor are the same in both the 05 and 07 3.4. you did not have a cam sensor code before the engine swap did you?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No had a misfire code and that was because the rear head had a crack and blown head gasket the car ran fine except for that

With the ignition switch in the run position, cam sensor unplugged see what the voltages are at the cam sensor plug on all three wires please.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Red wire 12 volts, black 0, brown 0

Can you send me a pic of the cam sensor plug please?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I sent photos I think they were sent anyways. Let me know if you got them

You have to post them here to this page. Look in the tool bar at the top of the message screen where you type your messages. There is a paper clip in the tool bar. You have to click on the paper clip and upload the pic from there.I did not get the pics.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sent them again

I am not getting them, can you post them to my photobucket account? www.photobucket.com user nameCustomerpassword ***** .

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I tried to get on your photo account but it would not let me is their any other way to send them

That is the only way I know for you to send them if you can not post them to this page.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have tried several times, but what should be the voltage on the wires with the key in run position, how can I test the senser to make sure it's working

You should have had 12 volts to the dark blue wire, 5 volts to the tan wire and the other wire is the return signal wire to the pcm.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have red wire with white stripe that has 12v and middle wire is black with no voltage and brown wire with white stripe with 0 http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=45558&d=1273248633

I see now, you used the wire harness out of the 05 correct?

If that is what you did, the outer two wires are backwards to make the cam sensor work. If you swap the two wires it should start and run.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay I will try that tomorrow

Do you know how to pull just the wires out of the plug and swap them with out cutting anything?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay I did that and still no luck

Did you clear the codes and see if the code came back?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I cleared codes prior to switching wires, I have to walk away from this for awhile before I do something stupid but thanks for all the help, if you can think of something I overlooked let me know thanks

Did the code come back after you swapped the wires?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

And it is still not starting correct?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No has no spark or injector pulse

Does your scan tool have live data stream? Can you see the cam and crank signals? Does your scanner show rpms?

See if it will start with the cam sensor unplugged. Also double check all of the fuse again. You should have had a 5 volt reference signal to the cam sensor plug, but with the wires crossed you may have blown a fuse to the pcm.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will check everything again, I pushed it out of the garage to make room for other work, but I will get back in tomorrow evening and try it again

ok. Chat with you tomorrow.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did some research on the 2007 block and found that they are not capatable because in 2007 GM had changed the cam to more reluctor and crank with more reluctor to have faster data ,so 2005 equinox computer will not read the signals and 2005 equinox had a 12 v signal to cam sensor and 2007 cam sensor had a 5 v signal. Their are no way it would ever run, so I am rebuilding the old motor and reinstall it

What was wrong with your old engine?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Blew a head gasket and cracked head, ran with antifreeze in oil for unknown amount of time, so I just got the bottom end rebuilt and going to use the heads off 2007 motor

Are you gong to do the work?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Did the old engine make any kind of noises? Lets slow down and make a good game plan and see what all can be done and what is the best least expensive rout to go in.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The old motor just had a miss and overheated, I had already checked all the bearings and they checked fine, I removed bearings and wiped clean and recoiled them and put back together and retorqued

Are you thinking that all you have to do is swap the heads?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I believe that should get it back to running condition

If you need any torque specs or any other information just let me know and I will post them for you.

Please tell me you have not pulled anything off of the 07 engine yet. I may have a solution for you that will be able for the pcm to make the 07 run correctly.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Have not pulled anything yet, was going to start tomorrow

I thought I had found a way to program the 07 pcm so it would work in your 05. I am sorry to say it will not work. But you may be able to install a resister in the signal wires for the cam and crank sensor. Please give me just a little bit to do some more research and see if this is possible.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't believe it's possible because of different reluctor on crank and cam. I think I will just use the 2007 heads and move on and take the loss

You said you where not going to start pulling the engine till tomorrow. Let me see what I can come up with in the mean time. A resister can drop the pulse signal going back to the pcm I just need to find out what resister you need to use.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I not pulling till tomorrow just let me know

I will let you know as soon as I find out.