Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Well actually it's a ford problem can you still help. 2004

Customer Question
well actually it's a ford...
well actually it's a ford problem can you still help
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2004 Ford F150 4x4
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: ok, so we had the transmission rebuilt and we put it back together and back in the truck. It was summer time, so drove fine. Winter, we put it into*****for the first time after the install and it's making a clunking noise like it's jumping in and out. Any ideas
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: transfer case, and it just started bc we didn't need to put it in*****since the install
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
1/7/2017
Chevy Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 1 year ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

Do you have a push button or manual shifter for the transfer case?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
manual

Have you tried to adjust the shift linkage for the transfer case?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried that

Does it make a grinding noise in 4w low?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no grinding but clunking in 4wheel high and low

Have you checked the fluid level in the transfer case?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
plus drained it and put new fluid in
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Everything worked fine prior to putting the rebuilt transmission in

Lets see if the problem is in the drive shaft, transfer case or the front diff. Can you pull the front drive shaft out and check the joints and see if any of them have a rough spot in them? Then with the drive shaft still out transfer case still in 4 hi take it for a short drive and see if you still hear the noise please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, we are gonna try that in the morning, it's really dark right now, how do I contact you specifically if this doesn't work.

Just come back to this page and drop me a line letting me know you have come back and need more help.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what we are thinking..... is that it's not fully engaging. But we will attempt the above tomorrow and contact you back. Just to verify....... I am getting charged a monthly fee for talking with you correct?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
continuing our conversation tomorrow will not cost me any more money right?

That is correct. If it takes us 2 months to get this problem fixed it would not cost you nay more money.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
after that step above, is there something else we should try. Maybe a couple different steps we can try before contacting you tomorrow.

Checking the joints of the drive shaft will be the biggest help, as well as knowing if it makes the same noise with the drive shaft removed. From there I can best help you solve this problem, but need to have some more data first.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok thanks, ***** ***** get back to you tomorrow, have a good night

You are very welcome. You have a good night as well.

Did you have a chance to check the front drive shaft?

kalamykid
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech