Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2002 3500 Chev Express van. The dome light flashes rapidly

Customer Question
on its own out of...
2002 3500 Chev Express van. The dome light flashes rapidly on its own out of control by me. Also a clicking (relay?) is heard under the steering wheel area. All intermittent.
First noticed failure a week ago was the power door locks. Also rear running lights have failed. Remaining lighting is functioning.
Remote start, three year install, seems to be ok.
There is an electric brake install from 2003.
I have removed the plastic dash covers. Cannot make out a BCM anywhere yet.
Any comments are appreciated.
Thanks for any
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Chevy
1/6/2017
Chevy Mechanic: AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN replied 10 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you anyway I can.

Have you checked for codes in the computer?

Can I start by getting your VIN?

Thank you!

No, have not gone to dealer for a code read. I do not have an OBD reader myself. VIN is 1GCHG39R821221506
I am now working for four hours so no rush tonight

Hello!

Thanks for that information.

The dome light and rear running lights may be two seperate issues. I suggest we start diagnosing one at a time.

Which one would you like to start with?

goodmorning, I am in 18 hours of darkness so the running lights are needed. Have already been given a warning.

Hello!

Your talking about the rear parking lights correct?

Let me pull a wiring diagram for you so we can get started..

I suspect you have an open or a break in the brown wire from the rear park lamp relay (located in the I/P relay block) to the rear running lights. I would start by checking this wire for power at the rear lights (With the parking lights turned on) and for any open or breaks in this wire. Here is a wiring diagram.

with the headlights on I have no rear running lights, or parking lights either I guess. I think we are just using different words?

Thats correct. The wiring diagram above is the correct one you need to help pinpoint this issue.

be back to you in an hour probably

Sounds good!

No power at the left rear wires. And the brown looks like the black.
I/P relay block, is that the same as the BCM in the cab?

The brown wire is likley very dirty that is why it looks black. Unless you think I have sent the wrong wiring diagram.. Just let me know and I can double check..

The I/P is the instrument panel relay block. This is inside the vehicle under the dash or on the drivers or passenger side. Once you locate it, you will see that all relays will be labeled.

I have to step out for a bit. I will check back with you this afternoon.

Customer/p>

Hello it'sCustomer

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

If so, please let me know, I will be happy to help!!

Customer/p>
AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN