Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I have an 02 Silverado 1500 v6. when I go to crank it over

Customer Question
Hi I have an 02...
Hi I have an 02 Silverado 1500 v6. when I go to crank it over to start all of the lights and gauges cut out and everything electronic dies
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: dome light, head lights, gauge lights
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tested the battery, voltmeter to the starter, it's good. the starter was replaced 4k miles ago. I am trying to fix it myself yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just that leading up to this, it has intermittently been difficult to start, sometimes it would take 9-10 cranks to fire up, but that was very spread out
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Chevy
1/5/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 10 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your input to my questions so I can help you better. I read your notes to what you have done so far and have a few questions before we start. How old is the battery and did you do a proper battery load test on it with a carbon pyle tester? Did you also do a starter draw test on it? Did you check the cables at both ends for corrosion and clean and tight? Never assume things are good until you do those tests because if those things are happening when trying to crank there is obviously a loss of power. Please do those tests and get back with the results so we can continue.

I' have found this problem posted on other websites with no resolution. also after everything dies a relay on the driver side kick panel continues to click every 4 seconds until I reset the battery. My kick panel diagram does not match the relay configuration I have so I cant identify what those relays are. I swapped those relays with the horn relay and it changes nothing.
I am not with the vehicle currently, so a phone call would not benefit me

I hear you, but lets do those basic tests first to be confident all those issues are ok before we move on.

No I have not done a load test with a carbon pile tester, the battery reads good voltage on my voltmeter and on the truck gauge when the key is on. The truck will do the same thing when jumper cables are applied directly to the battery cables without the battery connected. The starter connections are tight and secure, and clean.
Are there any other connections in the dash or the ignition circuit from the key which could be grounded out?

This condition only happens when you are trying to crank the engine am I not correct? if so then it is an energy drain in the system not a short.

it only occurs when I turn the key to actually attempt a start. There is no lag, or delay, everything electrical inside and outside of the vehicle immediately losses power to include items operated off the battery such as hazards, horn, dome lights, until the battery terminal is reset.
the only remaining electrical power is through a relay in the driver side kick panel which causes the gauges to move slowly from sided to side every four seconds as the relay switches
however no fuses blow, and everything resets to normal when the battery terminals are reset.

I'll pass this on to another that may have a different view on this good luck. just disregard ratting me as another will be along.

How am I being billed for this?
what are the rates based on?
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician