Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Service theft deterrent light is on. I have scan tool but

Customer Question
service theft deterrent light is...
service theft deterrent light is on
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: i have scan tool but there is no code
JA: I'll pass this info along to the Chevy Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2008 silverado 2500
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, The key cylinder was replaced with new key and theft deterrent module. I have tried the relearn procedure many times with no luck.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Chevy
1/6/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 10 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

Are you trying to reprogram with or without a scan tool?

Will the module communicate with the scan tool?

My scan tool in using is efi live so I'm not too sure of it's capabilities. I've taken the ignition switch out that the key cylinder rotates and put everything back together with the original key back in the ignition and rotate the wheel on the ignition switch to start the truck and the light is off that says service theft deterrent system. Then I put the new key in and it starts and works fine but the light comes back on. I'm wondering if there isn't a problem with the key itself but I'm not sure why the key will start the truck if there was a problem with the key. I have put everything back together and it works fine but the light is annoying. I took it to the dealership for them to look at it but they said the theft deterrent module was bad so I put the original one back on and verified it works with the original key.

So if I understand the truck starts with the new key and theft module, and it starts with the old key and old theft module?

it will start with both keys and module but the old key isn't the right one for the new key cylinder so it won't turn the ignition switch so I have to take it apart to start it with the key just sitting in the cylinder. The new theft module I guess was no good because that is what the dealership said and the light stays on regardless of which key I use.
I had to replace the cylinder the key goes in because the old one was locked up. The new one I ordered came with a new theft module and key.

That is what I am leaning to as well. The new theft module is faulty and causing the issue with the light staying on with the vehicle running.

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris

I kind of knew the new one was no good so I put the old one on and the light goes away but I have to use the new key because the old key won't work in the new cylinder. I programed the new key and it starts but the light won't go away.

So now with the old module, new key, the light stays on. So with both modules the light is staying on now?

with the new key the light stays on regardless of which module I use.

That makes no sense, it should not even start with that scenario. I would try new keys programmed to the vehicle.

That's what I think is that it has to be the key that's the problem, I just don't understand how everything works with the key besides the light being on. I guess I will try a new key and let you know.

Thanks

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris

The new key didn't fix it.

I am out of ideas, I will opt out and let another try.

Chevy Mechanic: GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
GM Bob
GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I can help.

When you replaced the new module did you have it programmed? This is not the key leaning procedure.

Can you post your VIN number.

Thank you

Did you still need help?

GM Bob
GM Bob
GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician