Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy Malibu 2012. Changed spark plugs & wires (boots) now…

Chevy Malibu 2012. Changed spark...
Chevy Malibu 2012. Changed spark plugs & wires (boots) now "service ESC, service traction, ESC off" comes up. Code is P0300 engine misfire. Replaced coil for position 1. Spark plug in that position slightly different from other 3. Codes were cleared for 1 day. Now it starts again. Engine running rough, chugging. Power reduced & the message is back. Any clues?
1/5/2017
Dan, ASE Certified Technician

Unplug the coils while the engine is running a idle and see if there is a change in rpm, this means the cylinder if firing. If the cylinder is not firing there will be no change. Then swap that coil with another one to see if the miss follows. You may have a clogged injector or a compression problem. Comp check would be done last.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. Hoping to be giving you 5 star service.u need to check spark, injector pulse then compression, you need to see which one you do not have

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will have him check this in the morning. Can I still get back to you then if we have further questions?

Yes, just message me on this page. It will send me an email and I will log back on.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We do have a versus scanner. Bought it from a retiring mechanic. Is there anything on there that might help isolate the issue. It is approximately 4 yrs old.

Look on the scan tool for live misfire data, that would help a lot.

Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there a trick to make it run without the air cleaner? This one will not start without the box on the engine & dies as soon as you remove it.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Found a purple wire leading to #1 plug that was loose. It would trigger code when he wiggled it. Ordered wire pigtail to the coil.

Great glad to hear you were able to get this figured out! :)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Does that seem like we may have found it? The same color wire on the other coils didn't move so it seemed like the culprit to us?

Is that the only cylinder that is misfiring?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that was the cylinder that was misfiring in the live data. It was also the only code showing up. P0300 engine misfire