Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  building and driving chevy's since i was in the womb!!!! camaro and corvette enthusiest, access to factory diagrams and tsb's
27644750

Lou, You helped me with this issue back in 2015.It worked

Customer Question

Lou, You helped me with this issue back in 2015.It worked for about a month then went out again, I replaced the fan and it worked for about three months then stopped working again. I dont drive the car alot but now we have to use it again for a daily driver and the fan is not working again. I just replaced the fan from autozone and its not working. Need some assistance to fix it this time.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Lou P. replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

Expert:  Lou P. replied 8 months ago.

Well hello again , sorry we couldn't chat on better terms , let's start over since it's been awhile , start from the top of the most recent issue , what happened that led you to replace the fan assembly ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Well, The fan stopped working about three months ago. I borrowed a multi meter and have power at the purple wire at the connector for the fan blower. Because I had power at the connector on the purple wire, I guessed it was the fan. I went to autozone and bought new fan. Came home, plugged it in and it didnt work. I checked OHMs for the new fan and it didnt register so I took it back and got another fan. Brought it home, plugged it in and it didnt work either. I have power on the purple wire at the fan.
I had replaced the resistor years ago but took it back and used the old resistor when it didnt fix the problem so I had to replace the wiring at the old resistor I have (just to let you know).
Expert:  Lou P. replied 8 months ago.

Oh ok so it's the Blower Motor not the actual radiator fan, ok let me get my diagrams up and see what we can do .

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it is the AC/heater blower fan that I am having issues with.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 8 months ago.

what model chevy do you have?

Expert:  Lou P. replied 8 months ago.

avalanche

Expert:  Lou P. replied 8 months ago.

beat you to it :)

give me a few minutes,

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
2003 chevrolet avalanche 4x4 with 5.3liter
Expert:  Lou P. replied 8 months ago.

ok are you checking the purple wire at the blower motor or the purple wire with the white stripe at the resistor supply?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
purple wire at the blower motor. I have a black. red,and tiny wire at the resistor.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 8 months ago.

check the tiny wire at resistor, it should be the purple and white, confirm

Expert:  Lou P. replied 8 months ago.

also check the black at the resistor connection to make sure its not burnt.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 8 months ago.

red wire is hot at blower and resistor, purple wire is ground to blower when fan is supposed to be on, you should get varying ground on purple white wire depending on speed setting if i am reading the wiring diagram correctly.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 8 months ago.

any luck?