Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

It's got a loose torque converter, I can find it out just

Customer Question
It's got a loose torque...
It's got a loose torque converter
JA: Do you have the torque specs?
Customer: I can find it out just wondering if I can tighten the bolts without pulling the trans
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 93 k1500 5.7 tbi
JA: Are you fixing your 9-3 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes by myself and well I found out it's the converter today haven't done anything yet
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
12/31/2016
Chevy Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help,

46 ft lbs is the torque. Since they came loose I would use soem blue threadlocker when you install them. You can work through the starter hole oe inspection plate to get them tight.

Let me know how I can help

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have to drop the trans just remove access plate?

Correct you can have the trans in neutral and turn the crank bolt clockwise to turn the converter so you can get to each bolt

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was talking to my friend he said the flexplate is cracked also said I can change it with out dropping the trans just moving it back 3 or 4 inches does that sound like something I can do in my driveway like 3- 4hr job?

Yes, if you can just move it back you can replace the flexplate. I don't know about a 3 - 4 hour job but you would need a low rise transmission jack to let you move it back

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Probably just use a regular jack and piece of wood but it should be straight forward tho right how long are you thinking and any linkage connections special bolts I have to look out for

You will be happier if you get a trans jack, no problem with special connections. You can take a look through the inspection or starter hole before you pull it apart.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
took the cover off and checked my bolts one was loose still pretty sure the flex plate is cracked what I did find tho was that my torque converter is bright shinny baby blue definitely been replaced my question is does the baby blue color mean it's after market and what improvements does it make vs a stock one?

If the converter was replaced (it has) then it was probably a rebuild and they bought an aftermarket converter. Usually they are replaced with the same specs as original. Sometimes they try to put a "loose" converter that will slip until higher rpms to allow the engine to build powerbefore the load of moving the truck is applied to it.

George H.
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician