BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

2009 Malibu LT 3.6L - BCM - Battery was going dead

Customer Question

2009 Malibu LT 3.6L - BCM - Battery was going dead overnight. Traced draw to BCM. Purchased Dorman 502-017 reman BCM. Installed in car and immediately got traction control and airbag warnings, wipers won't go all the way down and radio is locked out. Codes were B1001 and U2111. Took car to dealer and they programmed the BCM. $110. Picked the car up and still throwing the same codes. Dealer says "Oh, well, we can hook it up to our computer and see WHAT ELSE is wrong." I get it, MORE MONEY. Need some advice from someone who is actually familiar with this problem. No guessers please, I can do that myself. Thanks.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** the only issue prior to replacing the BCM the fact that the battery was dying?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 6 months ago.

Thank you. It sounds like you have either a defective BCM or the dealer is not wanting to reprogram it properly. I have seen a lot of defective BCM's from Dorman. I have also seen a bad ignition switch on this vehicle cause a series of similar issues. The ignition switch is the most common problem I have seen to cause a battery drain on this car.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The ignition switch is not the problem. Since replacing the BCM the battery no longer goes dead. I GUESS its possible that the replacement BCM is defective and I GUESS it's possible that the dealer didn't program it correctly, but how do I determine if either of those possibilities are true? Sorry but you haven't really helped with my question by GUESSING.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 6 months ago.

The only way to know for sure would be to install a TECH II computer scan tool or equivalent to see what the BCM is commanding. This would tell you if the BCM is commanding these circuits to come on meaning that the programming is not correct, or if they are coming on without a command it is the BCM. I can almost guarantee that it is the BCM.