Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I have a 2002,2l 4 cy chevy tracker that overheats changed

Customer Question
thermostat, checked water pump, flushed...
I have a 2002,2l 4 cy chevy tracker that overheats changed thermostat, checked water pump, flushed system. Top hose hot, bottom hose cold
JA: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: No. just servied
JA: What is the model of your '02 Chevy?
Customer: 4 door, 5 speed standard trans
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Replaced thermostat, water pump, flushed radiator and engine
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
12/29/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Super Mechanic, Master technician replied 1 year ago
Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

They are sometimes bad about the radiators clogging up and causing an overheating. You can have that tested at a radiator shop or feel around the core when the engine is hot to see if there are any cool spots that would indicate a clog.

.

However, with any engine that runs hot, overheats or has been overheated it is best to check the integrity of the engine, (head gaskets and heads, etc.)

.

The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. Make sure that it’s full first. There is a tester for that, that you can get from Autozone for about $20. They will normally lend you the tester and you just buy the fluid for about $8. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases.

.

Block tester available is:

Napa BK.(###) ###-####/p>

OEM/Block Tester AUTOZONE

Part Number:
27145

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools/Block-Tester/_/N-25dh?filterByKeyWord=block+tester&fromString=search

.

*****You will want to check it at different RPM’s and at different temperatures***

..

.

If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high. Most times not filling the crankcase with coolant either and not smoke out the exhaust.

If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

.

Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician