GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Chevy Silverado 08 windshield wipers will not turn off even

Customer Question

Chevy Silverado 08 windshield wipers will not turn off even when truck is turned off and windshield wiper control switch on steering column is disconnected.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  ironmike replied 7 months ago.

greetings,

has the truck been checked for trouble codes, BCM?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
for windsheild wipers ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
this started happening just after the wipers where left in the on position overnight and got frozen to the glass
Expert:  ironmike replied 7 months ago.

I looking at schematics now

Expert:  ironmike replied 7 months ago.

BCM controls the wipers and uses the switch as an input.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the truck has not been checked , where would i find the module and how do i check or reset it ?
Expert:  ironmike replied 7 months ago.

These GM trucks and vans are known to have issues with the fuse box under the hood.

Expert:  ironmike replied 7 months ago.

​always good to check for codes but since you have replaced the wiper motor and the switch I would start with checking codes in the BCM and then I would be leaning towards the under hood fuse box.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
how do i check codes manually ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
where would i locate this module ?
Expert:  ironmike replied 7 months ago.

you need an advanced scanner to check for modules like this. take a look at the under hood fuse box and tell me what it looks like

Expert:  ironmike replied 7 months ago.

If there is an issue you might get the wipers to shut off by shocking . I use a rubber hammer , even moving it or disconnection will get electronics to work just long enough to confirm

Expert:  ironmike replied 7 months ago.

I have replaced the fuse boxes many times for several faults, no programing needed nd most dealers will stock it. If the dealers have a bunch in stock it usually means it is a common failure.

Expert:  ironmike replied 7 months ago.

fuse box goes for about 250$.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
rectangular aprox 1 foot by 8 inch , mostly micro fuses , several relays large and small , two pull tab handles that release the complete assembly
Expert:  ironmike replied 7 months ago.

yep, some relays are internal and not removable

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
rubber mallet on the wiper blade (shock the arm / motor ) on motor itself to shock sensor disk or on bcm ?
Expert:  ironmike replied 7 months ago.

dealers and shops have the advantage to use advanced scanners to see if there are codes and check modules to see if the component is being commanded on. Shock the fuse box.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
to possibly shock the relay back into the correct position
Expert:  ironmike replied 7 months ago.

BCM we just check for codes. yes

Expert:  ironmike replied 7 months ago.

fuse box

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
hitting the fuse box with a hammer didn't have an effect
Expert:  ironmike replied 7 months ago.

try removing it check the relays and fuses for corrosion. another sign it is time to replace it

Expert:  ironmike replied 7 months ago.

Many times the corrosion is inside and not easy to see.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i didn't have a rubber mallet but used the stupid end of a hammer with a rubber handle
Expert:  ironmike replied 7 months ago.

ok, worth a shot. I have done the shock test and the wiggle test (wire harness) to confirm faults like this.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the underside of fuse panel looks very clean but is hard to see well without unplugging the harness wires
Expert:  ironmike replied 7 months ago.

Sometimes with modules and fuse box issues pin fit on connector can cause faults. pins or tabs can show black spots/wear that cause poor connections and high resistance.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
fuse panel is a plug and play rig , all contacts look clean except for 2 external ones that i will clean before reinstalling
Expert:  ironmike replied 7 months ago.

ok, let me know what happens. without being able to check the BCM live data or even for codes we are limited.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
would a normal obd code reader list the codes we need ?
Expert:  ironmike replied 7 months ago.

​no. where did you get the wiper motor from? reman?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
just bought the truck from a friend , pretty sure its a new wiper motor and both old and new one behave the same. ( i got both with truck )
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
where would i find the bcm if i could get a replacement for reasonable cost ?
Expert:  ironmike replied 7 months ago.

I would as a dealer for the part # and price. Then I would check e-bay. you will have the choice of new or used for much less than the dealer. To make sure it is right the we check with the dealer. They will use your vin #(last 8) to make sure the fuse box is right.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
where would i find the bcm in the truck
Expert:  ironmike replied 7 months ago.

I would replace the fuse box before the BCM. I would not replace the BCM before checking codes and the BCM would need to be programed

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i may have both available to try from a similar truck at work .
Expert:  ironmike replied 7 months ago.

BCM is under dash drivers side

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
what identifies it from other cm's in the same area?
Expert:  ironmike replied 7 months ago.