Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Ocassionally the truck will not start. I have tried both key

Customer Question
fobs that came with the...
ocassionally the truck will not start. I have tried both key fobs that came with the truck to unlock doors to no avail. they will lock them but not unlock.
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: yes , both
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: just started the truck and see that the lock ed light is on, but it started.
JA: What year is your Chevy?
Customer: 2003 Silverado 1500 5.3
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just that. and yes I am trying to repair it myself. battery and starter are good, tested and new battery.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i can't pay for advice . so i'll check forums. thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
12/22/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

i can't pay for advice . so i'll check forums. thanks. Are you wanting me to close your request?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, I will check online around lunch today.

When this occurs is the issue it will crank but not start or it will not even crank?

With the key on, what is the theft light doing?

When this occurs what do you do to get it to start?

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Chris , I have been on the road lately and haven't had time or place to respond and apply the answer to the truck. Key turned to start and nothing happens, dash lights and instruments go to "0".

Do you own a volt meter?

What is the battery voltage?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do have a voltmeter. Battery is full charge. Seems the anti theft light( lock on instrument panel) stays on all the time.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Starter was checked by auto shop and it is ok.

Remove the start relay, is there one pin there with battery voltage and then another with the same with the key held in the start position?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that is going to take awhile to accomplish . I will have to find the starter relay.
or are you speaking of the solenoid drive on top of the starter?

It is in the fuse box under the hood.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK .Sorry but I will have to get back with you in about 3 hours. Got stuff to do .I will check this relay and get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks

OKay

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Replaced starter relay , truck continues to have issue of not starting. Doesn't even turn over and no noise from the solenoid . There is a noise/ click sounds like it is coming from mid front of engine. when key is turned to on , but not to start.

I will wait for your reply on the tests I mentioned to do at the starter relay pins.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Went to parts store got a new relay , replaced the old one and still have the same issue. The keys are cut keys and do not have the chip or memory in them. I have not used a button start hooked up to the solenoid , but at this point I am not sure if I want to do that.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will have to check in the morning when it is daylight . Sorry , I misunderstood what you were looking for . The relay snaps or operates when the key is turned to start .Let's give it a rest tonight and I will check it tomorrow. Thanks

Thanks

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician