Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

What are the steps to draining and replacing antifreeze in a

2001 Chevy S10, 4.3, 2WD...
What are the steps to draining and replacing antifreeze in a 2001 Chevy S10, 4.3, 2WD, Reg. Can. I looked for the drain valve but couldn't see it from under the truck.
12/14/2016
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience: Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air Conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

Is this what you looking For

the drain plug will be above the Lower radiator hose ,kind of hard to see :)

Please Click on blue link to view Diagrams ,there is 5 of them that goes with below instruction

Draining and Filling Cooling System Engine Coolant Recycling

Zoom and Print Options

The use of a waterless, GM approved coolant recycling system on the vehicle eliminates the need for evacuation. This system is available through the GM Dealer Equipment program (or the equivalent). This method removes the used coolant and replaces the used coolant with approved new or with recycled coolant. When this equipment is not available use the following procedure.

Draining Procedure

Caution: To avoid being burned, do not remove the radiator cap or surge tank cap while the engine is hot. The cooling system will release scalding fluid and steam under pressure if radiator cap or surge tank cap is removed while the engine and radiator are still hot.

Caution: As long as there is pressure in the cooling system, the temperature can be considerably higher than the boiling temperature of the solution in the radiator without causing the solution to boil. Removal of the pressure cap while the engine is hot and pressure is high will cause the solution to boil instantaneously possibly with explosive force - spewing the solution over the engine, fenders and the person removing the cap.

1. Ensure that the system has cooled, then remove the radiator filler cap.
2. Place a drain pan under the radiator drain cock.
3. Install a tube on the drain cock, if necessary.
4. Place the end of the tube in the drain pan.
5. Open the drain cock completely.

Zoom and Print Options

6. Allow the cooling system to drain until the flow stops. If only the radiator is drained, up to 40 percent of the old coolant will remain in the system.

Zoom and Print Options

7. Place a drain pan under the engine.

Zoom and Print Options

8. Remove the drain plug from the side of the engine block, 2.2 L shown.
9. Remove the drain plugs from each side of the engine block, 4.3 L shown.
^ There may be more drainage from the radiator at this time.
^ Allow the engine block to drain until the flow stops.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

Important: Dispose of the used engine coolant properly. Store the used coolant in a used coolant Holding Tank awaiting proper disposal or recycling. Do not pour used coolant down the drain. Dex-Coo19 antifreeze is a very toxic chemical. Disposal into the sewer system or into the ground water is both environmentally irresponsible and illegal.

^ If the drained coolant is discolored, flush the cooling system.
^ If the drained coolant appears normal, continue with the filling procedure.
10. Apply a sealer (GM P/N 12346004) to the threads and then tighten the engine block drain plug(s).
^ Tighten the engine block drain plugs (2.2 L) to 15 Nm (11 ft. lbs.).
^ Tighten the engine block drain plugs (4.3 L) to 18 Nm (13 ft. lbs.).

Filling Procedure

Notice: Do not add cold water to the cooling system with the engine at or above operating temperature. Adding cold water causes rapid cooling, resulting in possible engine damage.

Notice: Do not use a solution stronger than 70 percent antifreeze. Pure antifreeze can freeze at -22°C (-8°F).

Zoom and Print Options

1. Ensure that the radiator drain cock is closed.
2. Inspect the strength of the old coolant, before attempting to reuse.
3. When you need additional antifreeze solution:
3.1. For coolant use Dex-Cool orange-colored silicate free coolant.
3.2. Pre-mix Dex-Cool at a ratio of 50/50 with clean, drinkable water.
4. Place a large mouth funnel in the radiator fill opening.
5. Slowly add the coolant mixture.
6. Fill to 1/2 inch below the radiator fill opening.
7. Start the engine.
8. As the cooling system, warms up and the thermostat opens, the coolant level will drop.
9. Add coolant until the level is up to the radiator fill opening.
^ Do not spill the coolant onto the exhaust system or other hot engine parts.
^ Under some conditions, Dex-Cool is combustible.
10. Replace the radiator filler cap.
11. Inspect the level in the coolant recovery reservoir, add coolant if needed.

Zoom and Print Options

12. Inspect the cooling system for leaks.

Please let me know if that works for or You need anything else on it

Thank You

Chad Farhat

64b7cde1-4c63-4d8c-b269-...gif64b7cde...gif93c11460-bf08-4e6c-955e-...gif93c1146...gife7120ccf-aab3-48b2-95ac-...gife7120cc...gifa6041668-8110-4855-8fa6-...gifa604166...gif273069f8-0905-4f6f-92ba-...gif273069f...gif

This The flushing procedure in case you needed

Zoom and Print Options

Draining Procedure

5. Open the drain cock completely.

Zoom and Print Options

Zoom and Print Options

7. Place a drain pan under the engine.

Zoom and Print Options

Filling Procedure

Zoom and Print Options

5. Slowly add the coolant mixture.
7. Start the engine.
10. Replace the radiator filler cap.

Zoom and Print Options

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Hi Chad,
I got under the truck and it looks like I need a water pump, I can seem water and steam coming form behind the pulley
I would like to give you 5 stars on this question and use you for my next question, the procedure for changing the water pump on the same truck

ok Lets replace it

2001 Chevy Truck S10/T10 P/U 2WD V6-4.3L VIN W

Save Article

Water Pump Replacement (4.3 L) Removal Procedure

Zoom and Print Options

1. Drain the cooling system.
2. Loosen the water pump pulley bolts.
3. Remove the cooling fan and clutch assembly.
4. Remove the drive belt.
5. Remove the water pump pulley mounting bolts.
6. Remove the water pump pulley.

Zoom and Print Options

7. Remove the radiator outlet hose clamp from the water pump.
8. Remove radiator outlet hose from the water pump.

Zoom and Print Options

9. Remove the water pump mounting bolts.

Zoom and Print Options

10. Remove the water pump from the engine.

Zoom and Print Options

11. Remove the water pump gaskets.
12. Clean the water pump gasket mating surfaces.

Installation Procedure

Zoom and Print Options

1. Install the water pump gaskets.

Zoom and Print Options

2. Install the water pump to the engine.

Zoom and Print Options

3. Apply a sealer (GM P/N 12346004) to the bolt threads.

4. Install the water pump mounting bolts.
^ Tighten the mounting bolts to 41 Nm (30 ft. lbs.).

Zoom and Print Options

5. Install the radiator outlet hose to the water pump.

Zoom and Print Options

6. Install the water pump pulley.
7. Install the water pump pulley bolts.
^ Tighten the water pump pulley bolts to 55 Nm (18 ft. lbs.).
8. Install the drive belt.
9. Install the fan clutch assembly.
10. Fill the radiator cooling system.
11. Inspect the cooling system for leaks.

6f873eae-fe10-4076-9a36-...gif6f873ea...giffef003bf-8d0d-4d4b-9292-...giffef003b...gif575de703-7d60-4a6e-afae-...gif575de70...gif7e86aa7b-bf3e-4870-9b67-...gif7e86aa7...gif21832a8c-f0dc-4ac6-adc1-...gif21832a8...gif

You Can Rate Me Now And If need anything else on it Just ask

and read below how to get in touch for future issue if you need me :)

Parts Information

OEM Part #Price

Water Pump

5 - Water Pump

Part # 89017748 $250.52

Contact Dealer for most current part and price information

Labor Information Skill Level Mfg. Warranty Standard

Replace

B 2.0 labor Hour

Thank You For The Rating In Advance :)

IF you need my assistance in The future on a different issue , Just start your question with ( FOR CHAD FARHAT ONLY)

or Click on the link Below to Enter My Profile & Under My Picture Profile There is a Box That Says Ask Your Question

It will be Highlighted in Orange,then Your question is routed straight To Me.

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-chadfarhat/?rpt=3800

Hey you forgot tpo rate me like you mentioned and Igave you all requested

Let me know if you need anything else on it , just reply back here & we can continue.

if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A 5 Star Positive Rating is Much Apreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat
ASE Certified Tedchnician

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat