nelson freitas
nelson freitas,
Experience:  AutomotiveTechnician at brantford toyota
96947379

Lights, power windows and radio are working, but car will

Customer Question

Lights, power windows and radio are working, but car will not start. 2006 chevy equinox
JA: Have you checked the fuse?
Customer: Where?
JA: Are you fixing your Equinox yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Stuck sitting in an empty parking lot...good Samaritan tried to jump it, but that didnt work
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: When i turn the key there is an initial sound then nothing. Now making a clicking sound is all. Radio clock turns back to 12:00 each attempt to turn the key
Category: Chevy
Expert:  nelson freitas replied 7 months ago.

I am Nelson, I am an automotive technician with over 12 years experience, and currently working at a Toyota dealership.

Even though someone did try to boost your vehicle with no luck it still seems like the problem lies with the battery. You may need a stronger battery to boost from or there may even be an internal short within your battery that may be causing the problem. do you remember which vehicle was used to boost yours?

Also when boosting to ensure there is no further damage to working car it is always recommended to have "donor" vehicle shut off as to not overload and damage the alternator. Just a tip that many people overlook. I'ld hate to then have 2 vehicles stuck in this situation.

I hope you are able to get the vehicle boosted soon, to avoid a tow truck charge.

Nelson

If I have been helpful at all, please leave feedback accordingly. Thank you

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
A Subaru Forester i believe with no luck. Now at 3:30am in an empty parking lot, another donor may be very difficult to find. If I can, should i try another jump?

If you could find someone, but like you mentioned at 3:30 you might be better off to call a cab and try go back to the vehicle in the morning with a new battery or call a tow truck to have it towed away.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I found someone yo try again...any
extra instructions?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It wasn't clicking when i turned the key before, but it is now. Also, power windows are moving slower and interior lights are dimmer...hooking cables to donor car now.

ok sounds like it should work this time

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, didn't work, no different than without cables hooked to another car.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Seems to just be getting increasingly worse with each attempt

ok what happens when you turn the key to start it when its being boosted?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Its the same as when i turn the key without the cables: a clicking sound and now also the radio face starts blinking and twitching out along with popping sounds from the speakers though the sounds system/radio is turned off. This symptom developed after multiple tries, just as things seem to be sounding, looking and getting worse with each try

It seems to me that the problem is still with the dead battery, I have seen many times where there may be an internal fault in your battery, preventing the donor battery to boost the vehicle. I would recommend towing the vehicle or returning tomorrow with a new battery to replace the one that is in there now.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well, i saw that as a last resort after the first attempts at jumping it but the car is in a very bad spot to leave for the rest of the night. Also my home isover 20 miles away from where I am stuck at the moment.

Ok, then I would suggest calling a tow truck to have it towed to either a shop or your home if you dont feel comfotable leaving the car overnight.

Just checking in to see if you had any luck getting the car started?

Nelson,

Also if I have been helpful at all, please leave feedback accordingly. Thank you

Do you still need assistance with your problem?

If not could you please leave feedback in order to close out this ticket.

Thank you,

Nelson