AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2000 Chevy Malibu, would not start, hardly any noise, an

2000 Chevy Malibu, would not start, hardly any noise, an ocassional click, pull and had starter tested, tested good. Pulled ignition switch, continuity test was good, tried starting in neutral , started right up but stayed engaged until shut off but also now starts in park also with same results. When ignition initially in on position, no power on yellow wire, but once started and returned to on then there is power on yellow wire. Disconnecting the yellow wire at the ignition, the wire on the solenoid, or the alternator wire then the starter disengages. hooked a toggle switch inline with yellow wire to shut off power to the solenoid, worked great, but now my battery isn't being charged. Please help and thanks

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. What do you mean by "stays engaged", are you saying that the starter continues to spin?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

It seems to me that you have a faulty transmission range sensor. All of your symptoms fit it. The transmission range sensor (sometimes also incorrectly referred to as the neutral safety switch) is responsible, among other things, for allowing power to be sent to the starter only when the transmission is in the park or neutral gear. In order to do this, there is a power circuit always present inside the sensor, so if the sensor shorts internally it can not only prevent the vehicle from starting, but can force the stater to turn even after the engine starts and is running.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
would that cause the battery to not charge and is there a way to test it

It is possible that it could also cause the battery not to charge, but this could also be another issue. We can go through some tests on it...do you have a multimeter available and are you able to use it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do have one

Ok, so the first thing to check would be the purple wire coming out of the switch. This is the control circuit for the starter and it will be energized anytime the signal is being sent to the starter. If the starter is engaging while the engine is running, you should check this here. If it is getting power, then you can assume that it is getting a signal from the switch. If you have cut power from the switch, then you have already proven this to a point.

*p.s. the yellow wire that feeds power to the range switch also provides power to other accessories, including the alternator. This is why you are no longer getting power from the alternator.

Have you had any luck checking the items I mentioned?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I won't be able to check it until tomorrow, I will let you know as soon as I can

Not a problem, and of course no rush

Hi, this is Josh checking in on your progress. Have you decided to replace the range switch? Do you have any further questions? If so, please let me know. Otherwise, if you are satisfied with my answer, please take a moment to leave a positive rating using the star rating system above. Thanks!

-Josh

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Been working late all week so haven't been able to get to it yet I have tomorrow off so I will check it out then. Just found out yesterday my son fried the battery cables by driving it could that be from the issues we are having from the starter and alternator? Oh how I miss old school rigs

I suppose it is possible; what do you mean he fried the cables?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I was told that the battery was smoking and the cables were so hot he couldn't remove them from the battery

Oh, wow. I can't say that I've seen that particular instance happen before but I guess it is conceivable that the starter could have overheated as a result of your problem and subsequently heated up the cable directly to the battery. I don't think that this is likely, however.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Finally got the car to my place it looks like it was the ground cable that got hot and the purple wire you mention is the large wire on the nss
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I said the negative cable but that was the one they had disconnected both cables have continuity
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Also they installed a push to start button instead of a solenoid kill switch so I will have to connect that differently to do the tests correct? If yes then I will reconnect it to the ignition

Hello and welcome!

Different expert here.

Did you still need help?

If so, please let me know. I will be happy to help!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yep still need help

Ok, excellent!

You will need to remove any aftermarket components such as the push button remote start and hook the starting circuit back up the way it came from the factory.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's back to the way it's suppose to be when I tried to start it last night there was a single click and the positive cable sparked at the battery when I turned the key off

If it sparked at the battery, that means there is a bad connection.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
At the battery?

Yes Sir

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I know it was tight at the battery but there are 2 cables hooked together there so I will check that when I get off work

Sounds good!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry it took o long to get back to you. I got the loose wire at the + cable fixed, but was seeing a little more spark then I am used to when I hooked up the - cable. I checked continuity from the + to ground and it went straight to 0. checked at the alternator hot wire to housing and starter hot wire to housing, both 0 ohms. pull each wire and checked stud to housing and got no continuity on either one.

I think it would be best if we could speak on the phone.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't have the extra money for that right now

How about if I lower the price for the additional service from $26 to $5 bucks?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I won't even have that until friday

Ok, not a problem. We can continue then.

Have a great night!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
you too thanks

:)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Now I have a no start issue a single click from the starter and battery voltage drops to 5 volts in start

Hello!

Where you you checking for voltage? At the battery or at the starter?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
at the battery

Is the battery fully charged?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
showing between 12 and 13 volts with no load

Ok, then the connections at the battery are bad or the battery itself is bad and will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Could a short somewhere in the system cause this because with the ground cable disconnected I have continuity between all hot wires and ground

If you have a short in the system sir, the fuse would blow. Thats why they are there.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Any idea why I would have continuity then

Because there is continunity. Thats how it works.

The problem is a bad battery. I guarantee it

I do hope you are as honest with me as I have been with you about your vehicle.

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Replaced the battery with one out of my other rig same results
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
both cables have 0 resistance at the starter

Ok, please upload a picture or a video so I can see.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
A picture or video of what

"the same results"

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Already switched batteries back not gonna switch them again

Ok, no problem. Dont switch them. Just send me a picture or a video of the current results.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
As soon as I have someone to help me I will get that done

Sounds good

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i cant send the videos, either they are too big or justanswer cant read the format

Post them on youtube and then post the link to the video on this page.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok we will try that

Sounds good!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
https://youtu.be/nXBBdknoSPM

It says "This video is unavailable."

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
try again it takes me to it

No go.

Try sending it to my cell phone. You should see the number in my additional service.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
won't allow it for some reason
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
try youtube again, I'm new to it, had to figire it out
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
https://youtu.be/o-yDXjfPEZ4

Good morning!

Thank you for the video. However, it does not show any voltage readings??

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
https://youtu.be/8azET8G8UCY

YUP! That is low voltage!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Any suggestions

YES, get the voltage back up to where it needs to be.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is it normal on this car to have ground at the big red wire to the alternator my guess is no but that's what I have

No sir, that is not normal.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do you by chance have or know where I see a better schematic of where that wire runs my book just shows straight to the starter

YES, I believe I can get one for you. Please rate my answer for assisting you with all of your questions and I will send it right over.

AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience: ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

Thank you for the positive rating.

One minute while I get a diagram for you.

If your sure there is no voltage on the big wire going to the back of the alternator, then I would be willing to bet that the alternator was not charging causing the battery to drain.. and now the low voltage condition.

This wire going to the back of the alternator gets power from a fusible link at the starter.. which gets power from the battery. Click on the link below to view the wiring diagram of this circuit.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The starter has battery voltage but the alternator shows 0 volts even on the 10 volt scale

Right, most likley because the fusible link is blown.

Or the wire from the starter to the alternator is bad.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do you know where the link is located

Again it is at the starter.

You can also see this in the wiring diagram I have provided.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i just read that there are 2 cables that go to the large starter stud but I only have 1 currently

Ok, then thats most likley the problem.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do have both wires connected to the starter but they are connected to different studs should they be on the same stud

YES, let me get you a wiring diagram of the starter motor.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I now have battery voltage at the alternator but everything is exactly the same other then that

So now the alternator will be able to charge once you get the engine up and running again.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yeah but I have no idea where to go from here

Try jumping the vehicle with jumper cables from another vehicle.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If the car was ran like that could the alternator have fried my starter and if so us there a way to test it

NO, the alternator would not cause the starter to go bad.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Jump start didn't work and I shorted the solenoid stud to the starter cable and still just the single click don't know if that tells you anything

If you do in fact have a good engine ground and are getting full battery voltage to the starter when jumping power to it, either the starter is bad or the engine is locked up.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Pulled the starter and bench tested it the pinion kicks out but doesn't spin

So the starter is bad..