Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

Pete, I have a 2007 Chevy Avalanche and my cruise control

Customer Question

Hey Pete, I have a 2007 Chevy Avalanche and my cruise control went out. It started by disengaging with the green light in the dash board on and it would work and the then disengage. Now it will not come on at all. The power light on the steering will come on but the green light on the dash dosn't. I replaced the the brake light sensor and checked the fuse #43.any idea's
Category: Chevy
Expert:  david craig replied 10 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. please allow me a few moments to look up the information for you. thank you.

Most of the time when this happens it is due to the brake lamp switch. If the switch is shorting out it will cause the vehicle to believe you hit the brakes which will turn off the cruise. As long as there are no other warning lights coming on when this happens then this is where you need to start. If this does not solve the problem then the problem may be in the vehicles body control module. since you already replaced the switch, make sure the wiring to the switch is not damaged. then make sure the connector to the cruise control servo is securely on and the cable is secure.

i would call the dealer to have this service bulletin performed on your vehicle. if none of the above suggestions helped.

Bulletin No.: 09-08-68-001

Subject: Cruise Control Turns Off During Operation (Reprogram ECM)

Models:
2008-2009 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2007-2009 Chevrolet Silverado
2007-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe
2007-2009 GMC Sierra
2008-2009 GMC Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL
2008-2009 HUMMER H2

Condition
On rare occasions, some customers may comment that the cruise control turned off. This typically occurs during operation and while pulling up and releasing both driver door window switches or activating the heated windshield washer fluid system in cold weather conditions with a battery charge below 80%.

Cause
Cruise control command cancellation is caused by a voltage spike that occurs when the driver door window switches are released or when the heated washer fluid system is activated.

Correction
A revised calibration has been developed to address this condition. Technicians are to reprogram the ECM with the latest calibrations available. This new service calibration is available on TIS2WEB using the Service Programming System (SPS). Refer to the SPS procedures in SI. SPS may require the technician to select the calibration from the ECM calibration screen.
Note
This calibration update should only be used when this loss of cruise control condition is experienced.
When using a Tech 2(R) or a multiple diagnostic interface (MDI) for reprogramming, ensure that it is updated with the latest software version.
During programming, the battery voltage must be maintained within the proper range of 12-15 volts. Only use the approved Midtronics(R) PSC 550 Battery Maintainer (SPS Programming Support Tool EL-49642) or equivalent during programming

just checking in to see how its going

Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will time out and close.

You have already paid to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.