Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Two years ago my car would not start. called AAA, said it

Customer Question

Two years ago my car would not start. called AAA, said it was not the battery. He shifted the shifter to d1 back to park, and it started right up, said the car probably wasn't in park. No problems for about a year and a half. then would not start. tried shifting the lever from park to D1 back to park half a dozen times, car finally started. I usually get about 50 starts, then no start. so back to shifting from park to Di and back for about 10 min. before it starts. Now it seems to happen more and more. Last year I took the car to an independent mech. he said transmission needed reseals a cost of $3,500.00. Its a 2003 chev. Impala. (I did not have the seals fixed) Could a relearn be a simple fix? I don't have 600.00 for a new ignition switch job.
JA: Does the vehicle have a fuse that enables or disables the shifter?
Customer: Don't know
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2003 chev impala
JA: Are you fixing your Impala yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: So far just shifting lever from park to D1 and back, and turning the key
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats it
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

so when this happens the engine will not physically crank over ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
correct
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

if by shifting it in and out of park makes this crank over the issue is going to be the neutral switch inside the transmission or the ignition switch is bad

when it is acting up the fuse called CRANK does NOT show 12 volts at it when holding the key to crank position then the ignition switch is bad

if that fuse shows 12 volts when holding the key to crank then the transmissions side cover needs to come off and the neutral switch or mode switch inside the transmission needs to be replaced

that can run 5 to 6 hours give or take for labor to change it out

dont forget to rate us here

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

how are you making out ?

dont forget to rate us here