Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Dome, door lights, cargo light, glove box lights do not

work. 15A fuse under hood...
dome, door lights, cargo light, glove box lights do not work. 15A fuse under hood blows. dash lights okay.
JA: Have you checked the fuse? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: fuse keeps blowing as soon as I put it in
JA: What year is your Cargo?
Customer: 2002 Silverado extended cab
JA: Are you fixing your Cargo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I want to get the fuse from blowing but not sure where to start
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/25/2016
Marvin the Mechanic
Marvin the Mechanic, ASE Certified Technician

These have a problem with the sun visor wires breaking and shorting out. you can that the screws out of the sun visor where it goes into the roof and look at the wires there.

Not the solution. pulled headliner loose but wires were OK.

Have you tried anything else? I have also seen the wires behind the drivers seat that go up to the cargo light get shorted there. This in down near the floor.

Another thing to check is the light under the hood.

Check those two issues they were okay. Put a jumper with a fuse goes and the cargo light woodwork the rear inside light would work about the map lights in the front of the cabin would only turn on with the button. And there is no power to the light under the hood the lights on the door are not working either
Correction. The lights in the doors are working when you open the door.

So are all the lights working now with your jumper in?

The lights the upper console will only work when you push the button in but that may be feature of this car. The under the hood light is not getting power. Everything else seems to work

The under hood light might need the headlights on to get power. If everything is working now then you moved the wire that was shorted. I would take another look at the sun visors, Look at where the wires come out of the post on the sun visor.

I pulled the headliner as well as covering for the post by the driver side often checked down to the dash and that looks good. I turned on the headlights and still no power to the Hood light.

The wires for the visors come out of the visor and connect to the wires on the headliner. The wiring diagram shows a switch on the light under the hood. If the switch is on then possible bulb.

I believe that which is some type of mercury switch so that when you raise the hood it would turn the light on but I have checked the wiring leading to the hood life and there is no power to the wiring. I don't have any electrical things in my boxers I checked the wiring itself the headliner down and tracing it back to the dash and could not find a problem with that.
That should have said visors top boxers LOL

Is it possible that the wire to the under hood lamp has broken and the power side is touching the body or engine?

That's a possibility. That would explain why the fuse blow and there's no power how long the visible wiring to the light under the hood. I'll guess I'll have to spend some time trying to track that down. Thank you.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Okay. I'll let you know how it works out anyway

If I have answered your questions please rate my assistance to you.

Marvin the Mechanic
Marvin the Mechanic
Marvin the Mechanic