Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Trying to get the top cover to replace ignition switdh, no,

Customer Question

trying to get the top cover to replace ignition switdh,
JA: Has the car been stalling out?
Customer: no, the tack, rpm, tramission shifting
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 1999chev tahoe
JA: What year is your Tahoe?
Customer: 1999
JA: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, this is the first thing
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Are you trying to remove the top cover but it is stuck around the ignition cylinder so it cannot be removed?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ml
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

O.k.,on this model it can be tricky.Disconnect the battery,turn the key all the way to crank like your trying to start the vehicle,if you lift up on the left side of the cover you will see at the top of the ignition cylinder housing a small pin hole.Use a 90 degree pick to press into this hole and pull the cylinder out.Once out then the cover will slip off.The cylinder reinstalls without using the pick after the cover is placed back on.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xqvvpltso8shzf7/pi-11-25.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete