Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

I have been having problems with my battery cables coming

Customer Question

I have been having problems with my battery cables coming off. A friend worked on it for me yesterday and now I have no brakes lights. He said that he cleaned the cables and recrimped them down since they were loose. Could this be related? And where do the 3 positive cables that are attached to the battery go to?
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: Master Cylinder was recently changed and the fluids were all just changed out and are good. The brakes work fine, its the lights that are not working. The turn signals are also not working now.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 1998 Chevy Silverado K1500
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: A friend is working on it for me. I am at work. He is trying to figure out where the positive wires go to exactly because he suspects that when my other friend worked on it yesterday, he pulled something loose, which resulted in my brake lights and turn signals stopped working.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's it
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If there is an issue with the battery cable hold down that attaches to the battery this causes electrical issues like you see here.The main cause for no brake lights on left or right side is a fault with the turn signal/multi function switch as the left and right side lights travel through the multi function switch.If this is all the brake lights including the 3rd brake light in the center of the cab this can be a fault with the brake light switch itself needing replaced.

But the cable feed the under hood fuse panel,starter and alternator.I would have these re checked to make sure they are clean and tight.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete