Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

My service engine light came on after and oil change. I do

Customer Question
my service engine light came...
my service engine light came on after and oil change
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: I do not
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Chevy mechanic to figure that out. What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2002 chevy Silverado 4.8
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I did put a fule cleaner in
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
11/20/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Gary, Chevy Technician replied 1 year ago
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

did a shop change the oil ?

how does it run ?

are you near a Pep Boys or Auto Zone or Firestone as any of those 3 stores will read the codes for free for you

once we know the code number set we will know what the problem is or the problem area is

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
oil was changes and car runs strong good accerlartion

the odds are the light is on due to possibly when the air filter was checked or the oil filled something was possibly left unplugged or loose or just real bad timing of the light to come on

if its running good and everything looks plugged in then disconnect both battery cables for 5 minutes then touch the battery cables together for 1 minute then connect both to the battery

that will clear the code

if by chance the light comes back on have a shop scan it for you

dont forget to rate us here

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just tried what u said and t;ight is still on. I hear nothing under the car and no smoke from the exhaust.. I am hoping its not the catalytic converter

hard to say what it is right now

usually when they are running good the issue can be a bad O2 sensor or a bad thermostat

we would need ti know the code set to know what the problem is

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I bought a code reader it will be hear tomorrow

ok let me know what code is set

dont forget to rate us here

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
worse case scernerio if its the catalic converter what type of repair cost am I looking at

a converter will run you @ 700 range for a direct fit one

dont forget to rate us here

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
700 included the labor

yes for an aftermarket direct fit plus the labor would be the price area

dont forget to rate us here

dont forget to rate us here

Gary
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician