Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Alternator reads ul to 14volts on test but on vehicle

Customer Question
battery is not receiving more...
alternator reads ul to 14volts on test but on vehicle battery is not receiving more than 12V from alternator
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: no
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: i did check fuses
JA: What year is your Chevy?
Customer: 1990 c1500
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: pick up
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes
Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Chevy
11/20/2016
Chevy Mechanic: TIM MOHR, ASE MASTER TECH replied 12 months ago
TIM MOHR
TIM MOHR, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** engine do you have in this?

bought the truck 2 months ago should be a 350 5.7

ok, when you turn the key on, does the battery light come on and then go off when you start it?

the check engine light right before i start, when i start the truck no check engine light

there is a battery light also, oit the check engine light, but one that looks like a battery, does this light come on if the key is on, but not started?

the only 2 lights on with the key on is the , service engine and the brake, when i start the truck only the brake light stays on

ok, then thisis your problem, there is a fuse in the fuse box marked "GAUGES", can you check this fuse?

checked fuse, is good
the volt meter in the dash with the truck on when i turn on my lights and ac it drops, with all assesories off is between 9 and 14
guessing about 11v

ok, at the alternator, there are 3 wires, 2 large red wires and a smaller green wire, can you chekc to see if the small wire has power, with the key on?

this truck has 4 wires, red,brown,brown/red,grey...the red is thicker than the rest and is live all the time, with the key on the on position, the only cable live was red

what is the production date on the drivers door?

made in canada, ontario, i just had the truck painted and they removed the sticker by accident, sorry :/

and it is definately a 1990?

sir i checked the vin, is an L on the year vin digit

My wiring diagrams are showing this as having only 3 wires at the alternator, I will opt out and se if another expert can help,hang tight,Tim

ok i just untaped the cable going to the alternator, and there is only 2 cable
1 cable the big red is the one that connects to the alternator on the top, the other cable comes from somewhere in the fire wall
the other 2 cables on the alternator they had it folded not connected to anything
Chevy Mechanic: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 12 months ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, let me pull some informaton to see if we can figure this out.

hey david, i believe i found the original cables that used to go to the alternator:)

is this an r/v series?

no is a pick up, canada made
i the plug that goes to the alternator it has 4 wires, but i believe the wire i found goes to the alternator
i found a wire that looks beige and black, when the key is on the on position it lights up, is that cable correct, and where on the plug that it go
thats it go next to the big cable

well as you can see, its only supossed to have the one small wire according to my print. this is weird. let me look in another manual

im going to opt out. i cant find anything other than what i have.

i have a question
i connected the wire i tought went to the alternator, the voltage went up to 14 volts, but i feel the alternator very hot??? is that normal
Chevy Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 12 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The alternator does get hot in operation. The higher it's duty cycle the hotter it will get. If you've been running the engine for any substantial time without it charging then there will be a high load on the alternator for a while.

It appears you had the output cable disconnected at some point, it is now connected again and it's charging correctly?

i connected the cable, however there was another cable running along that cable that i imagine that goes to the plug also, also noted that the cable i connected to the alternator when key is in the off position the cable is ground when the key is on the on position cable is LIVE ???? is that normal

If it's the alternator output cable you're referring to it's connected to the battery and always has power.

my alternator has a plug for 4 wires, 1 big and 3 small, the big wire is always live, but the first small one was the one i connected and started working at higher voltage after that
i was wondering how many cables go to the voltage regulator from the alternator, i found only one

I thought that you had fixed the problem? You reconnected a loose cable and now it charges correctly?

i was able to bring the alternator to charge to 14 v, before it would not go over 11v under load now is charging 14 v constantly
but..i have doubts about the wires , since cables had been altered

If everything is connected and the vehicle is now operating correctly then there shouldn't be a concern. It wasn't charging before because the output cable wasn't connected to the alternator.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician