AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a 2004 chevrolet suburban 2500 6.0l that wants to

Customer Question

I have a 2004 chevrolet suburban 2500 6.0l that wants to stall when I stop. I can push on the accelerator and it will stay running?
JA: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. It just happened yesterday and thought I would do some research before diving into it. It has 192,000 miles and when i fill it up the gauge reads only 3/4 full and then it's hard to start.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I haven't change the fuel filter yet.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Is the check engine light on?

Are there any codes in the computer?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for that information.

One minute while I pull up your vehicle

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Sorry for the delay! I lost connection for a bit.

The most common cause of this stalling condition on this vehicle is a dirty throttle body. This is good news because it is a very simple fix. With the engine off, gain access to the throttle body and clean the throttle plate (front and back side) as well as the throttle bore with a soft wire brush and some throttle body cleaner. Then re install the air intake hose and and start and run the engine. It will take a bit of cranking to get the engine started because it will be extremely rich because of the throttle body cleaner. Once this works itself through the engine, it will run nice and smooth. Then allow a few hours of drive time for the throttle body and computer to relearn the idle again and that should do the trick! It is not expensive to do and it is not hard os you can do this yourself. so save a few bucks.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

If the problem continues for any reason, simply reply back to me ont his page and I can continue to assist you. However, I am pretty confident that this will fix the stalling condition.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. I will start there.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

You are most welcome.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.