GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Door locked in the closed position 1976 corvette. The

Customer Question

Door locked in the closed position 1976 corvette. The drivers door is locked in the closed position. The door panel cannot be removed because the screws can only be accessed if the door is open. So accessing the inner workings of the door can only be done from the top of the door. Any help would be greatly appreciated. please reply back by email ***@******.***. Thank you
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 11 months ago.

Hello. You are unable to unlock the door? Is the door lock mechanism damaged?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not able to unlock door inside or outside with key. Also door lock mechanism does not appear to be damaged just froze up. Someone tried to open door by depressing outside handle with both hands leaving it stuck or froze up in the open position.

Are you not able to lift the button inside the car to unlock the car? how about using a slim jim?

when you say frozen, is it actually frozen due to extreme cold temperatures? if that's the case, lock deicer should help.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not able to rotate inside lock/unlock nob. Have not used slim jim

do you have access to a slim jim? have you tried using penetrating oil on the key and jiggling the key? maybe a spare key?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do not have or used slim jim yet. Problem is not with key or key mechanism. Outside and inside lock mechanism is jammed tight along with the door handle.

oh, so the issue is NOT that you are unable to "unlock" the door? it's that the latch is jammed?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The latch is jammed along with the locks

the latch and the locks are all jammed? I don't understand. I'm sure it's my fault. I'm going to opt out and hopefully one of the other experts understands and is better able to help you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for texting with me last night regarding door locked in closed position on my 1976 vette. Even though you had to opt out and couldn't offer any recommendations. I went online and researched many sites and finally found a technique that actually worked. You can keep my $5.00 good faith deposit but please discontinue our actions and do not wish to participate in any free trial. Thank You
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for texting with me last night regarding door locked in closed position on my 1976 corvette. Even though you had to opt out and couldn't offer any recommendations. I went online and researched many sites and finally found a technique that actually worked. You can keep my $5.00 good faith deposit but please discontinue our actions and do not wish to participate in any free trial to chevy mechanics on call. Thank You