Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

I have a 2002 Chevy Tahoe. I have a servicelight on. I don't

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Chevy Tahoe. I have a service*****light on.
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: I don't but I do know someone with one.
JA: I'll pass this info along to the Chevy mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am. So far have replaced a sensor.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's my only problem. It has 235,000 miles on it
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

There were 2 main causes for this model with this message/light here.First was an issue with the switch control itself.This would fail or act up internally needing replaced.Usually you could see the light indicators on the switch blank in and out if this is the switch issue either while driving or while trying to shift in and out of 4wd.

The other issue was the encoder/shift motor on the transfer case.Usually the 4wd switch can be operated but the light for 4wd may flash and never engage into 4wd when this is the cause here.

What needs to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out/checked with a compatible scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers in your model especially the 4wd computer.Once the codes are read out of the 4wd computer they can be diagnosed and repaired.Remember this does require a compatible scan tool that can read the 4wd computer to diagnose and repair this here.If you can get the codes read out and post them here this will help.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete