Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I have a 2007 Chevrolet HHR with a 2.4. It has developed a

Customer Question
noise in the engine that...
I have a 2007 Chevrolet HHR with a 2.4. It has developed a noise in the engine that sounds like its in the center to rear of engine. It also has a irratic idle and has a P0016 code. My question is can the balance shafts be making the noise.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
11/15/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 1 year ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience: Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air Conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

1-The DTC fault code

DTC P0016 Diagnostic Instructions * Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure. See: Vehicle > Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview * Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach. * Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provides an overview of each diagnostic category. DTC Descriptor DTC P0016 - Crankshaft Position (CKP) - Intake Camshaft Position (CMP) Correlation Circuit/System Description The engine control module (ECM) uses the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor and the intake camshaft position (CMP) sensor information to monitor the correlation between the crankshaft and intake camshaft position. Conditions for Running the DTC * DTCs P0335, P0336, P0340, P0341, P0365, P0366, P0641, and P0651 are not set. * The engine is cranking or running. * The engine speed is less than 1,200 RPM and the CMP actuator is commanded to the home or parked position. * DTC P0016 runs continuously when the above conditions are met. Conditions for Setting the DTC The ECM detects that the intake CMP sensor pulses occur less than 9 or more than 12 crankshaft degrees outside of the normal position for 25 out of 35 engine cycles. Action Taken When the DTC Sets DTC P0016 is a Type B DTC. Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC DTC P0016 is a Type B DTC. Diagnostic Aids Inspect the engine for any recent engine mechanical repairs. An incorrectly installed camshaft, crankshaft, or timing chain can cause this DTC to set. Circuit/System Verification 1. Operate the vehicle at idle and at various engine speeds and load ranges while observing the Int. CMP Variance, Desired Int. CMP, and Int. CMP Angle parameters with a scan tool. 2. The Int. CMP Variance should remain less than or equal to 1 degree unless the intake CMP actuator is being commanded. If the intake CMP actuator is commanded, the Int. CMP Variance will rise for 1-2 seconds until the Int. CMP Angle parameter matches the Desired Int. CMP parameter. The Int. CMP Variance should again return to less than or equal to 1 degree. ◊ If the Int. CMP Variance remains more than 1 degree for more than 3 seconds, continue with the Circuit/System Testing. Circuit/System Testing 1. Ignition OFF, inspect the crankshaft balancer bolt for the proper torque. Refer to Fastener Tightening Specifications. ◊ If the crankshaft balancer bolt is not at the proper torque, refer to Crankshaft Balancer Replacement. 2. Remove the intake CMP actuator solenoid. 3. Connect a fused jumper wire between the control circuit of the CMP actuator solenoid and battery voltage. Connect a jumper wire between the low reference circuit of the CMP actuator solenoid and a good ground. The pintle of the solenoid should move. ◊ If the pintle inside the CMP actuator solenoid does not move, replace the CMP actuator solenoid. 4. Inspect the intake CMP actuator for binding or being stuck. 5. Inspect the engine for correct valve timing. Repair Instructions Perform the Diagnostic Repair Verification after completing the diagnostic procedure. See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Verification Tests * Camshaft Position Intake Actuator Replacement * Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement

2- the erratic idlel will be caused by the p0016 , cam or ckp sensor

3- the noise you talking about , does it get louder if you rev it up sitting on idle .

4- the crankshaft is balanced from factory and that is internal no adjustment there

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
gets quieter. I know the crank is balance already. I asked about the balance shafts.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
https://youtu.be/1Ysi_YsJLSU this is the noise and idle.
Chevy Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician replied 1 year ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

Hi there, I am Cam.
This might be due to engine timing being out. Can I start by asking if you have done any internal repairs on the engine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No nothings been done. It still drives ok.

Ok, have you done any of the testing in that code chart?

Do you have a meter for testing?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No and yes I do.

I ask because I have seen the small solenoids into the top of the head fail before, set codes and cause timing issues that result in the rattle and such, and best of all, they are VERY easy to change.
Can you test the pins of both intake (front) and exhaust (rear) and see if they are close to the same?
If so then we might have a bulletin to follow. Its attached.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Testing these pins for voltage? Plugged in or not?

Resistance of the pins in the solenoids, powered off and unplugged.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK I will check. It might take a day or 2 to get back. Thanks for the input.

Sounds good, Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what pins do I check. There are 3 of them. We are talking about the cam sensors correct.

Not the sensors, no. These are the solenoids on the top. They are 2 pins only.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok

ok

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have the cover off and the valve cover off if I turn the motor by hand and watch the exhaust cam isnt turning in time with rest of the engine and then snaps all the slack up? Bad phaser?
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician