Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Everytime I go to push my 4x4 to lock it in it doesn't even

Customer Question

Everytime I go to push my 4x4 to lock it in it doesn't even try to lock in like there is no sound of the transfer case trying to lock in the lights on the button just flash
JA: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?
Customer: It's my 4hi and my 4lo button they just flash nothing locks in nothing try's to lock In or anything
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2004 Chevy Colorado
JA: Are you fixing your Colorado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well I broke my actuator a while back and replaced it and after that nothing has ever tried to lock in
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's it
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Was this the transfer case actuator that broke and how did it break?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I think it is it is the one in the front of the truck I guess it's the transfer case actuator
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

O.k.,the one in the front is the front differential actuator.If this actuator broke and shorted internally when it broke this can damage the 4wd control unit/ecu.I have seen this occur before and had to replace the shift control unit to correct this here.The other most common cause is a fault internally with the transfer case actuator located under the center of the vehicle.

What has to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out/checked using a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers in your model.This way you can check the fault codes in the transfer case computer.Once this is done the codes will help diagnose and locate which component is the cause here.I suspect either the transfer case computer needing replaced or the shift actuator on the transfer case under the center of the vehicle.In some cases you can tell it is the actuator on the transfer case by tapping on it to see if it then operates and shifts in.You can also test the signals to it with a multi meter to see if the actuator needs replaced but the codes do need checked as this will help locate if the actuator or the control module is the cause here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I do have one more question I broke my 4x4 on the beach it's just sounded like it snapped made a big pop I checked my axles and boots nothing was broke but it wouldn't turn the front tires so I replace the front actuator and before I replace it you can here the transfer case locking in but wouldn't turn the tires but after I replaced the actuator no sound at all nothing just nothing turning like it's not getting power
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Since the transfer case was locking before this was replaced there is a chance that a fault code is set in the transfer case computer that may just need to be cleared out to correct this here.IN some cases a code can set disabling the 4wd system until it is cleared out.

It is also still possible that the 4wd/transfer case computer is at fault here.

But you will need to have the fault codes checked/read out to see what codes are set and those codes then diagnosed to help locate and pinpoint the issue here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How are where can I get the codes cleared out
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

This has to be done with a compatible scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers.This usually take a higher end scan tool to do this that most shops or a dealer will have,A local parts store like Auto Zone can usually read out the codes at no charge to you but will not clear out the codes unfortunately.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hey man took it to get the codes cleared out from the transfer case I there were no codes to be deleted
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Were the codes checked with a compatible scan tool that was able to plug in and communicate with the transfer case computer?If this was not done with a fully compatible scan tool then this issue will occur here with no codes being detected.This takes a higher end scan tool to do this as well as the person using the scan tool knowing what their are checking.They need to check the transfer case computer for any codes setting.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It was I took it to an automotive shop in town the guy said it was one of the compatible scan tools
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

The only reason I would see no codes setting is if there is a fault in the transfer case computer itself.This is common where it can fail as just like the other control modules/ecu's in your model they usually will not set a fault code for itself failing.I suspect that the transfer case ecu will need replaced and programmed

If this was one of the actuators or a mechanical fault causing this here then a fault code would have been detected.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Do you think there could be a problem with the switches where it could be where it doesn't send power
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Even if it was the control switch this would set off a fault code of B2725 for a fault with the switch itself.And since no codes are set with this issue here this sounds like a fault with the control unit.I would have this tested further to be sure.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I need to test the transfer case computer
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
To see if it is messed up
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

I would have the power and ground tested to it as well as the data communications with a compatible scan tool.This usually helps diagnose it at fault here.But this will require a multi meter and fully compatible scan tool.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Alright well thank you hopefully I'll figure it all out
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Your welcome

Thanks Pete