Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2000 C2500 5.7 auto 2wd p1345. the distributor gear was all

Customer Question
knife edged and worn out...
2000 C2500 5.7 auto 2wd p1345. the distributor gear was all knife edged and worn out and it needed a cap and rotor so the distributor was replaced. it has almost 200k on the clock and the timing chain was all sloppy so that got replaced and since the crank sensor had to come out, that got replaced also. the scanner shows cam retard of -24 deg. i loosened the clamp and moved it a little and it came in to 0 deg, but as soon as i raised the RPM it went back to like -20 or- 24 and that's what it is from the time the motor is started and it doesn't fluctuate with engine RPM. Bad computer? any input on this nagging issue would be appreciated. thanks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
11/11/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Where you reading the cam retard above idle or at idle when it read -24 degrees?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hi pete,
per my OP, the cam timing is fixed at all RPM from idle to 2k which is as far as i took it.

There is a cam shaft offset procedure.The first step is to start the engine,raise the speed to 1000 rpm and see if it reads between 2 and -2 degrees.The data will not be accurate for this reading under 1000 rpm.Does it read between these readings here at all at 1000 rpm?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
like i said before in the two previous posts, the cam timing reads -24 at all rpm from idle to 2k.

O.k.,usually when you are this far out of range this indicates you are off one tooth.Have you tried to adjust one tooth to see if you can get in range again.I have done this myself and was way out on range like this here with no running issues and had to pull up and rotate one tooth to then get this corrected.If this was already done let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok. i'll try the one tooth thing and get back.

Sounds good.It can be tough if the oil pump shaft will not line up with the bottom of the distributor so mark the rotor where it is now so if you have to pull it out and turn the oil pump shaft with a long flat blade screw driver this way you only move just one tooth and not several.

Let me know how this turns out when your ready.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
distributor is in dead nuts. as stated before i moved the dist around a little and got a 0 deg reading, but as soon as i raised the rpm it went to -24 and is stuck there at all RPM. this distributor is from richporter which comes with a fixed clamp so you cant set the distributor in that far out if you wanted to.

That is odd.Usually the V8 engines came with a loose clamp to turn it even on these models here.The 4.3 liter came with a fixed clamp as I ran into this issue before on those and had to replace the cam shaft once for an issue similar to this here.

You may have to contact the facility you purchased it from to see if they can find out if it was suppose to come with a fixed clamp for sure here.I dont think it should have myself.

But with it sticking at -24 no matter what after the initial engine rev to me from here since it isnt moving back down can indicate a fault with the PCM internally.The only other thing I can think of is the cam gear is worn down.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the fixed clamp is an aftermarket solution to prevent distributor misalignment. i grabbed the original adjustable clamp to monkey with the timing and when that went nowhere i put the fixed clamp back on to eliminate that as an issue. the thing runs super. if it were actually 24 degrees retarded it would be a mess.

I apologize for the delay.

The only reason I would see this reading this here since it does not run poorly is a fault with the computer possibly reading the cam and crank sensors incorrectly.Since these sensors were already replaced and you know your right on with tooth alignment with timing chain and distributor I would suspect a fault with the computer.If you would like I can post the diagnostic procedure for this code for you to follow to locate and correct this here just let me know.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It turned out to be a bad run of distributors. we tried two distributors with the same results. swapped in a known god computer and it did the same thing. i tried the clamp from the OE distributor and i was able to manually bring the cam sensor into phase. i'm pretty sure the drive gear was installed out of phase.
Pete, Auto Service Technician