Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

2003 avalanche won't start engine turns over won't fire

Customer Question

2003 avalanche won't start engine turns over won't fire battery is fully charged
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Does the fuel pump run for a few seconds after the key is first turned to run, before you turn the key to start?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Done that couldn't hear anything didn't smell gas either I was insid the car. Could it be a fuse or the fuel pump battery is fully charged
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Check the fuel pump fuse and check if the fuel pump relay even clicks when you first turn the key to run. You may need to have someone else turn the key is you cannot reach the fuel pump relay but once you do, put your finger tips on the relay and feel if it clicks.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

This does not have the 350 in it unless someone swapped the engine, it's either the 5.3 or the 8.1. If you tell me which one, I will tell you where the fuse and relay is and if there is a fuel inertia shutoff switch also.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

I'll assume though the engine is a 5.3, the 8th digit of the vin would be T, if it's an G than it is the 8.1.

The fuel pump fuse and the relay are both in the underhood fuse block. fuse PCM B and it's a 20a and hot all the time.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Here is the wiring diagram and let me know if you do have 2 fuel tanks.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
5.3 liter
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Ok, and just the one fuel tank?