Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Haven't been able to start my 1997 Astro for about 1 month.

Customer Question

Haven't been able to start my 1997 Astro for about 1 month. Fuel pressure 60-64 holds for a l ong time. Spark at spark plugs. tested with spark tester. Spark shows 20kv. Not over though. No codes. Crank sensor must be ok if I get spark. Right? I discovered today the crank fuse, by the brake pedal has no power. It won't start wiht starting fluid. I test injectors with noid lights at the connector into the plum. All light up when cranking.
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: It seems consistant. Just at the fuse and the illumination fuse above it. Tested with the key on.
JA: Are you fixing your Astro yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Haven't been able to start my 1997 Astro for about 1 month. Fuel pressure 60-64 holds for a l ong time. Spark at spark plugs. tested with spark tester. Spark shows 20kv. Not over though. No codes. Crank sensor must be ok if I get spark. Right? I discovered today the crank fuse, by the brake pedal has no power. It won't start wiht starting fluid. I test injectors with noid lights at the connector into the plum. All light up when cranking.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Should have said "plentum". 1997 Astro Van - 4.3 engine. 200,100 miles. Tested cylinder pressure at #4 only. 145 psi. Checked 2 plugs 4&6, looked ok. Changed plugs, wires, distr cap, rotor about 12 months ago. I ch ange oil every 4k or so.
Expert:  Eric Gardner replied 8 months ago.

What was the average compression numbers of the other cylinders?

Below is the correct way to test for compression on these vehicles. Thought I would send it just in case.

Conduct the following steps in order to check cylinder compression:

1. Engine should be at room temperature.
    2. Disconnect the BAT terminal and the terminal connector from the distributor.
    3. Remove the spark plugs.
    4. Block the throttle body plate wide open.
    5. Battery should be at or near full charge.
  1. For each cylinder, crank engine through four compression strokes.
  2. The lowest reading cylinder should not be less than 70% of the highest.
  3. No cylinder reading should be less that 689 kPa (100 psi) .

Do you smell gas when trying to start the vehicle, coming from the engine compartment?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Cranks but no start. I hve spark, gas, air. It should go. It was running fine, according to my daughter prior to parking it. The next day it wouldn't start.
I have only checked compression in the number 4 cyl. Plugs smelt like gas when I pulled them. Cylinders 4&6. The engine sputters a little and then backfires a little when I try to start. I am not sure if this has chevy PassLock, but tried to reset it anyway. No Luck. Is there a way to test for a security lock out issure or how do I know if I have PassLock? Does Passlock throw off the timing so it can't run?

I can provide you with the two most common issues with a crank, no start condition on an Astro Van.

If you will kindly rate my service as 3 stars or higher, I will then provide you with the fixes along with instruction.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't think you have addressed my questions. I didn't ask how to check compression and don't think the top 2 reasons for an Astro van not starting will help me. I have already check the top reasons as you can see from my previous posts. Spark and fuel I have. You are asking for a rating when you haven't really commented on my issue.
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 8 months ago.

ok..

lets start from the beginning..

you say it has a sprk,yet it wont start on starting fluid?

does it fire at all on the fluid?