Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

It clicks when I try to start now my key is stuck in the

Customer Question
ignition JA: Can you turn the...
It clicks when I try to start now my key is stuck in the ignition
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: Yea I can move the wheel but it's hard
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2006 Chevy impala lt
JA: Are you fixing your Impala yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I put in a different battery that didn't work
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The lights don't come in the car except for the check engine light
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
11/5/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 1 year ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience: Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air Conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I went outside to crank the car it only click so I tried to jump start it didn't work so put in a battery I know is good still only click then key gets lock in ignition only check engine lights on no clicking sounds like the doors are trying to lock but there not locking car has no power at all

Hey how are you

1- check that you have 12 volt at the battery when you have key in start position at that moment what are readings still 12 volts

2- if you are getting 12 volts at battery ,but are you getting at the starter ?

3- did you check the starter relay

4- is there any key with lock picture on dash flashing or steady on ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

if all that above checks out, I want to do this procedure Below

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 15 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't know weather im getting 12 volts or not I don't have nothing to test it with no I didn't check the starter relay and no light on the dash only check engine light

well all this needs checking first .

there is common issue with security module not recognizing the key, usually a new igntion lock cylinder and new key will fix it.

But that does not mean that is what happening with yours, each one is different depends on many factors.

but that will the most common

If can get more info just post it back here ,a scan using GM scanner will retrieve the fault codes to confirm what is happening

Please let me know if you need anything else on it

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just did the master reset procedure it didn't work I hit the little gold button in the ignition to release my key

Take it down to advance or auto zone and read the fault codes ,they do it for free if you have one around where you at.

A GM scanner will be preferable so i Know it can communicate with anti theft module,sometime the local parts store can pull it ,depends whuch scaner they have?

for me to able help you further on it and be accurate .You don't want to just throw part at it ?

Please let me know if do get them and post them back here and we can continue

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Got me key got power to the car lights on radio on but still won't crank clicks loses power then power come back a few seconds later

Get some fault codes and check what i mentioned in my earlier reply and we can go from there

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Got it to o Reilly's the code was p2101

You have a computer issue or throttle body issue based on this fault code , read the below DTC INFO

DTC P2101

DTC DESCRIPTOR

DTC P1516
Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Module Throttle Actuator Position Performance

DTC P2101
Throttle Actuator Position Performance

DTC P2119
Throttle Closed Position Performance

DTC P2176
Minimum Throttle Position Not Learned

DIAGNOSTIC FAULT INFORMATION

IMPORTANT: Always perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure. See: Vehicle > Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview

Zoom and Print Options

CIRCUIT/SYSTEM DESCRIPTION The engine control module (ECM) is the control center for the throttle actuator control (TAC) system. The ECM determines the drivers intent and then calculates the appropriate throttle response. The ECM achieves throttle positioning by providing a pulse width modulated voltage to the TAC motor. The TAC system uses the following circuits: - Motor control 1 - Motor control 2 Two processors are used to monitor the TAC system data. Both processors are located within the ECM. Both processors monitor and share data to verify that the indicated throttle position is correct. CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING DTC P1516 - DTC P0068 or P0121 is not set. - The ignition is in the Run or Crank position. - The ignition voltage is more than 6.5 volts. - The engine is running, or the system is not in the Battery Save mode if the engine is not running. - DTC P1516 runs continuously when the above conditions are met. CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING DTC P2101 - DTC P0068 or P0121 is not set. - The ignition is in the Run or Crank position. - The system voltage is more than 11 volts. - The engine is running or the system is not in Battery Saver mode if the engine is not running. CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING DTC P2119 - The ignition is in the Unlock/Accessory, Run, or Crank position. - The ignition voltage is more than 5.23 volts. - The system is in the Battery Save mode. - DTC P2118 runs continuously when the above conditions are met. CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING DTC P2176 - The ignition is in the Run or Crank position. - DTC P0120, P0122, P0123, P0220, P0222, P0223, or P2135 is not set. - The system is in the minimum TP learn state. - The throttle is stable for more than 40 milliseconds. - DTC P2176 runs continuously when the above conditions are met. CONDITIONS FOR SETTING DTC P1516 - The indicated throttle position does not match the predicted throttle position for more than 0.5 seconds. OR - The ECM detects a current draw of more than 9 amps on the motor circuits for more than 0.18 second. CONDITIONS FOR SETTING DTC P2101 The indicated throttle position does not match the predicted throttle position for more than 0.3 second. CONDITIONS FOR SETTING DTC P2119 The ECM detects that the throttle is unable to return to the default position after it is de-energized for more than 0.5 second. CONDITIONS FOR SETTING DTC P2176 The ECM detects that the minimum throttle position was not learned for more than 1.8 seconds. ACTION TAKEN WHEN DTC P1516, P2101, AND P2176 SET - The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) when the diagnostic runs and fails. - The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The control module stores this information in the Freeze Frame and/or the Failure Records. - The control module commands the TAC system to operate in the Reduced Engine Power mode. - A message center or an indicator displays Reduced Engine Power. - Under certain conditions the control module commands the engine OFF. ACTION TAKEN WHEN DTC P2119 SETS - The control module stores the DTC information into memory when the diagnostic runs and fails. - The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) will not illuminate. - The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The control module stores this information in the Failure Records. - The driver information center, if equipped, may display a message. CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC - The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail. - A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes. - A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic. - Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool. CIRCUIT/SYSTEM VERIFICATION With the ignition ON, use a scan tool to observe the throttle position (TP) sensor 1 indicated position. Throttle position should increase as pedal is applied and decrease as pedal is released. When no accelerator pedal activity is detected, The throttle position will return to the spring loaded default position. CIRCUIT/SYSTEM TESTING 1. Inspect the throttle body for the following conditions: - A throttle blade that is NOT in the rest position - A throttle valve that is binding open or closed - A throttle valve that is free to move open or closed WITHOUT spring pressure 2. With the ignition ON, and the throttle body disconnected, measure for voltage between the TAC motor control 1 and 2 circuits and a good ground. The voltage should be 0 volts. - If voltage is more than 0 volts, test the affected motor control circuit for a short to voltage or a faulty ECM. 3. With the ignition ON, and the throttle body disconnected, probe the TAC motor control 1 and 2 circuits with a test lamp connected to B+. The test lamp should not illuminate. - If test lamp illuminates, test the affected motor control circuit for a short to ground. 4. Connect the throttle body. 5. With the ignition ON and the engine OFF, clear the DTCs with the scan tool. 6. Turn OFF the ignition for 60 seconds, and verify the ECM has powered down by observing No Comm. on the DTC Information menu of the scan tool. 7. Disconnect the throttle body. 8. Connect a test lamp between the TAC motor control 1 circuit and a good ground. 9. Observe the test lamp while turning ON the ignition. The test lamp should illuminate for approximately 0.5 second. - If the test lamp does not illuminate, test the TAC motor control 1 circuit for an open, high resistance, or for a faulty ECM. 10. Remove the test lamp and connect the throttle body. 11. With the ignition ON and the engine OFF, clear the DTCs with the scan tool. 12. Turn OFF the ignition for 60 seconds and verify the ECM has powered down by observing No Comm. on the DTC Information menu of the scan tool. 13. Disconnect the throttle body. 14. Connect the test lamp between the TAC motor control 2 circuit and a good ground. 15. Observe the test lamp while turning ON the ignition. The test lamp should illuminate for approximately 0.5 second. - If the test lamp does not illuminate, test the TAC motor control 2 circuit for an open, high resistance, or for a faulty ECM. 16. If all circuits test normal, replace the throttle body. REPAIR INSTRUCTIONS - Control Module References for ECM replacement, setup, and programming - Throttle Body Assembly Replacement

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat