AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2005 Chevrolet Colorado. Passenger power window won't work.

Customer Question

2005 Chevrolet Colorado.
Passenger power window won't work. All others work.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

Are you looking for possible causes?

Has anything been replaced for this problem up to this point?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Nothing done to the window or door. I had to repair the ground splice pack near the air filter under the hood. The window quit the next day. I've checked the grounds I repaired and their all good.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ground repair was for a blower problem.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

Got it! Thank you for that information. One minute please..

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

There are two wires coming from the switch to the window motor. One wire gets power while the other wire gets ground to move the window up. Then it switches polarity to move the window down. You could have a bad motor, bad switch, or a wiring issue to going to and or coming from the switch. The easiest way to check this is to use a test light and hook it up between both wires to ensure it lights up both in the "up" and "down" position.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
To keep from pulling the door panel I'd like to check those wires at the switch. Can u tell me the colors?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

Yes Sir I can.

Dark blue

Brown

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My father was Sir. My name is***** on I'll pull the switch.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

Sounds good Pete. Thank you very much.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

Here is a wiring diagram of this circuit.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well there are large dark brown and dark blue, and small dark brown and blue. I thought it might be the large wires but the test light lights between them with the switch on or not. The smaller ones don't light at all. Which ones do u think go to the window motor? Large or small
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok. I connected the test light to ground and have power all the time on both brown wires. Large and small
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
With the ignition on
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

Pete,

That means the brown wire is not getting and suppling a ground to the window motor. I bet if you ground that wire (as long as your on the correct brown wire), and push the switch up or down the window motor will move.

The switch gets a ground on the black wire. If this ground going into the switch is good, then it is likley that the switch is bad and will need to be replaced.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

This will be helpful. Pin 10 and 12.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The brown wire has 12 volts on it. If I touch a ground to it it will weld them together.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The black wire at the switch has ground.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

Ok, it sounds like the switch itself is at fault.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Very helpful diagram. Pins 10 and 12 are the large wires I spoke of. Brown has 12 volts with ign on. Blue is dead.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Blues has neither ground or power.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

Right. Remember what I mentioned earlier. One wire will have power while the other has ground in the "UP" position. Then it will switch polarity when you push the switch to the "down" position. So if the switch is not sending the right signal and it has the correct inputs, the switch is at fault and will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I must be dense. The brown should have power all the time without the window switch up or down ?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

No sir. Thats not how it works. The switch supplies power to one of the wires and ground to the other one when you push the switch up.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

And then the wire that WAS hot does to ground when you push the switch to the DOWN position.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That's what I thought u said. The brown wire has power all the time when ign is on. Without actuating the window switch. The blue never has ground or power. Can a bad switch do that?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
From looking at the diagram u sent... could a relay be stuck closed sending 12 volts to the window?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

YES, it can.. the relay inside the switch.

But you cant replace just the relay. The entire switch needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok. I'm on it. I'll get back to u soon
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

Sounds good.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The switch will be here Friday. I'm trying to get my window up. Shouldn't I be able to jump ground and power to the 10 and 12 pins to make the motor work? I get nada.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

YES, you should. If it does not work, switch the power and ground around and the window motor should switch directions.

If that does not work, the window motor is bad and needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hey I found a better place to ground my jumper and the window went right up. You called it right from the beginning. It's the switch that's bad. I apologize for being so dense sometimes. I'll be sure and let u know when I replace the switch tomorrow. Should be about noon. Thanks.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

Sounds good no problem. I am glad we got to the bottom of it. Simple enough right? Provided the switch has a good ground going into it, it is bad and needs to be replaced.

Talk to you soon!