Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience:  29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering
2947720

My cavaliar bgan to run hot after driving over 120 miles but

Customer Question

my cavaliar bgan to run hot after driving over 120 miles but it did not run hot until i had put water in tne reserve fan running fine therostat new radiator new but there was no leaks from anywhere driving the same 120 miles back it got hot every 30 minutes or less let cool add water i done that 6 times but twice it just shut down i couldnt give gas wont move cool down again but act as though it was going to start but it down after cooling now all this time im adding water each time and it was in need each time the last time it had smoke from tailpipe steaming so not it not cooling after 30 or 40 minutes so in checking my cousin took a casing that covered a screw a said to start it ad it gussed water out from in front where it looks like the engine 98 chevy cavaliar maual transmission
JA: What part of the car is the leak coming from? And are you sure it's water?
Customer: it never leak from no where nothing yes im sure it was water
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 1998 chevy cavaliar rs coupe
JA: What year is your Coupe?
Customer: 1998
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no i dont try to fix it i have had nothing down since or even tried to start it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i was told that where the water was notice said the bolt neede to be tight or replace with a seal for gaskets i guess
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

They are sometimes bad about the radiators clogging up and causing an overheating. That may have been the original problem with it that caused an overheating.

.

However, with any engine that runs hot, overheats or has been overheated it is best to check the integrity of the engine, (head gaskets and heads, etc.)

.

The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. Make sure that it’s full first. There is a tester for that, that you can get from Autozone for about $20. They will normally lend you the tester and you just buy the fluid for about $8. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases.

THAT CAN BE DONE WHILE CRANKING IF THE ENGINE WON'T START

.

Block tester available is:

Napa BK.(###) ###-####/p>

OEM/Block Tester AUTOZONE

Part Number:
27145

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools/Block-Tester/_/N-25dh?filterByKeyWord=block+tester&fromString=search

.

*****You will want to check it at different RPM’s and at different temperatures***

..

.

If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high. Most times not filling the crankcase with coolant either and not smoke out the exhaust.

If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
after having my computer replace nothing reads correctly so how else will i know
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you but im unable to pay for futher help

There is no need to pay for further help. What would make you think that?

Also, the only way to know about the integrity of the engine, (internally) is by doing the block test, thanks