Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Key turns but no resistance changed cylinder but still spins

Customer Question
free ... what part does...
key turns but no resistance changed cylinder but still spins free ... what part does the cylinder connect to is the a spring for resistance that could have snaped
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: car can move thru gears I can lock and unlock steering wheel keyy moves freely replaced cylinder still no resistance think a link is broke or something
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 91 chevy Caprice tilt wheel
JA: Are you fixing your Caprice yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced lock cylinder but it's just spinning back and forth no light no crank no restance
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: yea is there a linkage to the switch or a spring I broke turning the key to cause no resistance
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
11/2/2016
Chevy Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 1 year ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

Have you checked the electrical switch for the ignition switch? It will be under the dash on the top side of the column. The bolts will be on the left side. Remove the switch and see if the switch has come apart, or if the rod going down the column has broken.

The rod 83, is bad about breaking off of part 45. This will keep the rod from moving the slide in the ignition switch.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Had mechanic look said there was a wire broke or afraid said it was ignition switch but on a 91 chevy Caprice the ignition switch is like a plug ... why would there be no spring tension nd why would the key just spin .. I'm guessing the part behind the cylinder is not catching he said buy the ignition switch but I'm not goin to buy something I don't need i feel like it's the part behind the cylinder a sprinkler or linkage he says ignition switch he saww a wire to the timber fraid. Idk what part to buy ... cylinder rotates free no spring tension no lights not anything spins back nd fourth but wheel lock still works
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What is the rod called can I buy it??

I know orielys has them in there help section, and it is a gm ignition rod.

Did you find the rod broken free?

kalamykid
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech