GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

My keys were stolen a couple mths ago with my fob but I've

Customer Question

my keys were stolen a couple mths ago with my fob but I've been using my spare set just having to jump in & start it b4 alarm went off....other day I'm in my car at lunch and lock & get out but then realized I left me purse, so I unlock door, quickly get key I ignition and go to turn it to "on" position and horn starts blaring, lights flashing and alarm won't shut off & car wot start
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the door switches?
Customer: Which fuses would I be checking? I had a new key cut but even that did not work
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: OMG.. I'm sorry :( should have told you that right off....1997 chevy camaro rs anniversary edtion...I've owned it since 97 and never had an issue like this EVER
JA: Are you fixing your Camaro yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes....I've tried turning the key a certain amt of times, leaving the better disconnected for 8 hrs, paid $100 for a new key
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Ya I'm stuck in a parking garage, broke with no way home
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** see if we can get you going. Hopefully this is the factory alarm and not an aftermarket alarm. Does your key have a small black chip in it or is it a metal key with a black, plastic head?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's got the blk chp w/metal in middle hooked up to ohm rdr it was 6.025
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 10 months ago.

Thank you. This security system should only cause a no crank with the engine. It should not cause the horn to sound. Do you have an aftermarket alarm also?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No sir....I'm the original owner...they told me it was a special feature for the "anniversary" model
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 10 months ago.

And you do not have a key fob remote correct?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No...it was stolen with my main set of keys
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 10 months ago.

Thank you. If the alarm is not turning off when the key is installed and turned on then the sensor in the ignition lock cylinder may be bad. Do you have a voltage meter to see if the signal is going to the module?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do but how would I be able to test it?