kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

Swapped alternator on 03 Chevrolet venture. Went to start it

Customer Question

Swapped alternator on 03 Chevrolet venture. Went to start it and everything went dead.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Better is charged at 12v Dc but no electronics come on at all
JA: Are you fixing your Venture yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked fuses and checked to see if there are any inline fuses but can't find any. Fuse box is getting voltage as well as the alternator
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That should be it
Category: Chevy
Expert:  kalamykid replied 11 months ago.

What battery cable did you take off when you replaced the alternator?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Positive (red) what's funny is I checked the alternator last assuming since it's brand new that it was ok and turns out it fried itself when I tried to start it. the auto parts store is going to swap it for me and I'm going to try again tomorrow. It's in a minivan so it took me quite a bit longer than my old truck lol. If for some reason it happens again I know it's something other than a "bad part" I will try troubleshooting again

Does your battery have two cables stacked ontop of each other for the positive post?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No.

The alternator can not lkill all power to the truck. You either have a loose connection at the battery or you have blown a fuseible link or one of the maxi fuses.

Do you have a test light or a digital volt meter so we can do some testing?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have a volt meter and unfortunately I am no longer at the vehicle. It is stuck somewhere else and I have been gone all day and had to get the kids home. I'm going back over there tomo after the Seahawks game to try again. This is what I did check tho already. I'm getting 12 volts at the positive post on the battery, the post on the fuse box, and the post on the alternator.

Take your meter and test the metal pieces sticking up through the fuses and see if you have 12 volts on all of the big maxi fuses. If any of them only have 12 volts on one side, the fuse is bad.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I visually checked them and ohmed them out. I will check for voltage tomorrow. Would any of the relays come into play with this? And are there any fuses or links in this model?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I meant inline fuses

There are 4 fusible links in this van that can cause your problem. But no there are no relays that would kill all power to the inside of the van.

there is a fuse link going to the alternator, as well as the stater relay.

They should be connected to the stater. The other two fuse links are going to the ebcm, electronic brake control module.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
this is what I think has happened. The new alternator is visibly bad. It was nice and shiny orange inside where the coils are and now it has got quit a bit of burnt black charred areas inside of it. So when the alternator went it popped a fuseable link somewhere and that why there is no power anywhere. But I must say I lied to you. The check engine light and an orange light on the radio cluster which I have never seen before blinks for awhile then goes out.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
After I turn the key to run I see these lights
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
But nothing else

Check all the fuses in both fuse boxes with the ignition switch in the run position. Some may not have power at all like the fuses for the lights, but most should, and non of them should have power to just one side. Once you get power back, you will have to do a 30 minute relearn on the security system to get it to start back up. Here are the steps you have to follow.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well this sounds fun! Thanks for your help I will try again tomorrow using the info you've provided. You have a great night sir

You are very welcome. I hope your day is better tomorrow.