Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2001 Suburban 1500 cranks but no start. No pressure read at

Customer Question
2001 Suburban 1500 cranks but...
2001 Suburban 1500 cranks but no start. No pressure read at schroeder valve. Just replaced alternator that tested at 8.9 volts.
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: Yes I did.
JA: Are you fixing your Suburban 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried to reset passlock myself. The security light does not come on the display
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: After it sat overnight, when I turned on ignition I could hear a click at the relay/fuse box and the fuel pump could be heard humming for a few seconds before trying to start. Subsequently the fuel pump does not make any sound when turning on ignition.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/26/2016
Chevy Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 1 year ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

Can you tell me step by step how you tried to reset the anti theft system?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tried to start, it did not. Left key in on position for 10 minutes, tried to start, no luck, kept on for additional 10 minutes, tried to start, no luck. At no point during the process did the security light appear on the display.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you there?

Try this for me please. Turn the ignition switch straight from off to start and let go of the key so it goes back to run. Do not pause at all till the switch is in the run position. Then see if the security light comes on. if it does see if it goes out after 10 minutes. When the light goes out after 10 minutes, turn the switch off, wait 5 seconds, and then go right back to start and then back to run and wait for the light to go out again. then you have to go back off, wait 5 seconds, and right back to start and then to run and wait 10 minutes again. This time when the light goes out, turn the switch back to off wait 5 seconds and see if the truck will start.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will be able to try this in about one hour from now. What is the best way to determine if it is a passlock issue or fuel pump related if it does not reset after trying the above directions on resetting the passlock? Sorry I can't get to the vehicle right away.

If this does not work, come back to this chat screen and we can work from there. There are a few things you will need, a test light, a digital volt meter and a fuel pressure tester. Do you have these, or can you pick them up on your way home? The test light and digital volt meter will cost you around $30.00, and most auto parts stores like auto zone and oriely"s rent the fuel pressure tester and when you return them they give you all your money back for the tester.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks, ***** *****

Chat with you when you get home.

kalamykid
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech