K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician, Associates Degree in Automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

I have a 97 2.2l LS RWD 5spd standered cab chevy s10. im

Customer Question

i have a 97 2.2l LS RWD 5spd standered cab chevy s10. im trying to wire in a factory gauge cluster with a tach. the stock one in the truck does not have a tach. i found the suposid tach wire that plugs into the cluster but when i hook the cluster in with the tach it doesnt read.... now whats stumping me is that i had a 96 2.2l s10 base model 5spd and was told that a tach cluster was not plug and play in it and it plug and played just fine. but doesnt in the 97. so iv tryed to bypas the suposid tach wire going into the cluster tapped from the white wire from the coil connected a clip from a junk harrness into the correct spot and plugged it into the tach cluster. still nothing. Help i want a stock cluster with a tach i do not want an aftermarket tach
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 11 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
u have an answer to my question or no?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
An answer from anyone would be great. My coil model is a 6 wire. There's a white wire which I tapped into to try to bypass the dash wire. It did nothing

Are you sure the tach in this new cluster works?

Do you have a analog multimeter to see if the white wire is rapidly pulsing 5 volts while running?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I know it works it was in my 96 that also didn't have a stock tach

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I tryed testing the white wire. Pulled the cluster out and probed it. Disn't give me a reading on 20v but put on 2v and got a .004 reading but then the truck died due to the alternator. Changed the alt did not try again. If the charging system was dying would that can such low volts? Now that it has a new alt in it should I try checking the wire again on 20v? Or would the alt dying have nothing to do with the tach wire voltage output?

A scope or analog meter is needed to check this wires rapid pulsing power on/off.

A digital meter nor test light will work and low voltage can cause no or low signal.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
All I have is a multimeter

Is it analog or digital?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Digital

A DVOM will not be able to monitor this circuit.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I should get some sort of reading with the multimeter tho

You will get a reading but it is not a usable reading to confirm accurate signal is being sent and received. The reading you get on the DVOM will not assist us in diagnosing this issue.

Prior to completing the mandatory rating at the top of your screen. Let me know if I have not yet provided you with ~5 STAR EXCELLENT~service. Reply and let me know in more detail what you need to be pleased with my help.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well u didn't exactly answer my question. And there is no reading at the cluster wire for the tach. But I got a reading at the coil I did what I thought best b4 I even asked for help. My question is if there's no reading at the cluster wire then what. I want the stock cluster. I even tapped into the coil and ran a wire to the cluster that I know had signal on the working tach. And still nothing

If you replaced the tach wire, verified the cluster works, and still no tach. That means the coil is to blame.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That's not true. Because if I hook an aftermarket tack directly to the coil it reads. But the wire to the back of the cluster doesnt

I have nothing more to offer on this concern. I will remove my self from this post by opting out so another can help.

Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 11 months ago.

Good morning, I've been looking over your question and what I gather is you do have tach signal at the coil but not at the white wire that goes into the cluster.

There is a connector between the coil and the wire at the cluster ( C203) in the diagram below. If it's unplugged or a bad connection this could be the issue.

With your volt meter check for continuity on that white wire from the cluster plug to the coil. (with coil unplugged) there should be les than 1 ohm of resistance. Let me know what you find and we can work further if needed.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I didn't try that yet. BUT what I don't understand is if I take a wire from the coil white to the back of the cluster harness and put the tach cluster in no reading on tach. But if I take that same wire to an aftermarket tach I get a rpm reading. Tgo the aftermarket tach has a power wire supply ed for the tach. Does the stock cluster need power for the tach also or is the power supplyed by the cluster itself?

I may of misunderstood. So the aftermarket tach does work at both the coil and the white wire at the instrument cluster connector?

In the facotry unit the tach and other gauges are powered by the gauge fuse. There's also a solid state computer module in the cluster that take take input and speedo input.

If the aftermarket tach works at the connector to the cluster it's most likely that stock cluster is bad.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I didn't try the aftermarket tach at the stock cluster wire. JUST at the coil. BUT if I run a solid wire from the coil remove the stock tach wire from the cluster and replace it with the solid wire running from the coil and try the tach cluster still nothing. I will have to try the aftermarket tach at the cluster wire
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Going to test that tomorrow