BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

On a road trip, in my 2012 duramax diesel. message about

Customer Question

on a road trip, in my 2012 duramax diesel. message about exhaust came on, emissions issue. truck message read 100 miles to shutdown of power, then went to 65mph, then down to almost nothing. friday night, middle of nowhere. took to dealer this morning, they couldn't figure it out, but cleared codes and Im driving home. Message came back now, at night, and I don't have enough miles to get home on the limitations. I think something to do with nox. sensor. DEF, any ideas what to do?
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: nox, nos, something like that. this thing is a nightmare. What did Chevy do to shut you down with little warning about emissions?
JA: What is the model of your '12 Chevy?
Customer: 3500
JA: Are you fixing your 3500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: not wanting to, but on the road trying to get back from a trip. trying to figure out a way to trick it so i can get home tonight. have more than 100 miles to go
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i think not
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 12 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am sorry to hear about what is going on with your truck. This is a terrible design for situations like this. Unfortunately without a computer scan tool that can reset the system there is not much you can do. Most of the time the issue is either caused by a clog in the particulate filter in the exhaust or a problem with one of the DEF sensors. Both are very common issues on this vehicle. GM also had a technical bulletin for reprogramming the computer for this problem. The sealer should have at the very least done that. I have seen a few of these allow you to drive more after it is shut down for a period of time and restarted, but 99% of the time the computer needs to be reset. I wish I had better news about this. If I can be of further assistance please let me know.