Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

My van shows in the instrument cluster "reduced engine

Customer Question

My van shows in the instrument cluster "reduced engine power", then i can get enough power to drive the van, not response from the engine, then i stop the engine for 5 minutes and everything is normal until it returns. I connect the computer and show me the codes p0455, p1516, how can i repair this failure?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

how soon will the code reset ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
sorry, i am not have a lot of experience with this, what means reset?
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

if the code is cleared how long of driving before it resets and the van acts up ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
oh ok, i going to check that right away...i will drive around my house, i will back as soon possible.
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

if it resets with the van OFF unplug the throttle body connector and then plug it back in hard clear the code and see if it still does this

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello again!
I reset the codes and the check engine went off.I drive for 10 miles and van works fine.Check engine light continues off after 10 miles.I could not remove the connector , it just not goes out?!What can i do to avoid it fail again?I noticed the clamp that attach throttle body to air filter is losse and the bolt that tight it is damaged, when i turn it to tight does not tigh
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

then if that hose is loose or ripped and the clamp will not tighten it needs a new clamp or a new clamp and hose

as for the reduced power if it comes on again get that connector unplugged and pack the connector with dielectric grease then reconnect it

that should correct that issue

dont forget to rate us here

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello!
What about if i replace that connector with a new, it comes as part?I had in mind a damaged throttle body, my van has 281.000 miles?What about the mas sensor? Change it????
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

i would not change the MAF if there is no MAF codes

i would replace the connector if it still does this replace the throttle body

dont forget to rate us here

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello!
Is this the throttle body connector?
How this goes off?
I m pullying it but can notPlease see the picture
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

there is a small gray clip that slides you that us under the little thumb part of the connector you push to release it slide that grey part out with a small screw driver then push down and pull

dont forget to rate us here

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Please can you confirm the throttle body connector is the one in the picture?
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

yes that is it

dont forget to rate us here

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Please do you know the part number of the connector? Gm sells it as single part?
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

yes GM sells it they look it up by your VIN number

i do not have the part number i am sorry

dont forget to rate us here

Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

dont forget to rate us here

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello!
I will follow your indications.In case the failure appears again, i ll change the throttle body.Does a specific mileage this throttle body should be replaced?
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

no only change them if they act up like this

dont forget to rate us here

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Gary,
I performed the steps you recommend in my van, i spray the throttle body with carb/throttle body cleaner, add a layer of dialectric grease, check the cable connectors, installed a new strap.Now the van does not start, and i got a collection of codes, 1516,0455,0174,0056, what can i do in order to start the engine?i noticed that when i cleaned the throttle body, i push the butterfly in the upper area inwards, when i push that is soft, is not hard to push inward, is that normal? to be so easy to push inwards?i checked the cables, the cables came from a thick harness and looks good, the connectors area the issue in this model or is the cables coming form the harness?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
can i check the connector with a tester? what voltage, amp, etc i should select?
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

with those codes all set the terminals in the connector are bent over or bad or the throttle body is bad

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
gary,i finally started the engine, pushing the pedal, as an old carburator car, then engine start, i erase the codes and then drive this morning 70 miles, no issues, the codes does not returned. i think ,maybe was because i sprayed the throttle body? car is driving fine. do you think for peace of mind, if i replace the throttle body, i will eliminate this problem from coming again? as i said cable and connector looks good, can i test it with a tester? how?
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

if the code did not reset you should be fine

dont forget to rate us here

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
gary,
what about the cable or connector? do i should to replace that just for prevention?i am worry because this vehicle is for work and sometimes i drive up to 10 passengers, i do not want to get that ¨engine power reduced´warning in the highway.please help me to decide what to do.
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

if you want to be 100 % sure its ok replace the throttle body and the connector that way it should never act up again

dont forget to rate us here