Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics
18617752

I have a code P-0455 evap control system leak and I want to

Customer Question

I have a code P-0455 evap control system leak and I want to know how much it will cost to fix it
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: ok
JA: Do you have the drive cycle procedure?
Customer: I don't know. what's that
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2004 Impala
JA: Are you fixing your Impala yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've called some mechanics to get prices on just looking at it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 10 months ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and prepare your answer.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for holding!

Unfortunately, there is no easy, 1-answer, "it's this..." type of answer here. So to give an estimate at this time would be impossible. This code is just a "general" code that states there is a large leak in the EVAP (emissions control/recovery) System. The first thing to check here is the Fuel Cap. Make sure the cap is tight and seated correctly. Check the underside of the fuel cap for any cracks or signs of defects that may keep the cap from sealing correctly. If there are any doubts about the inspection of the cap, replace it. Keep in mind, you will need a cap that meets OE Specs. Those "universal" or "locking" fuel caps sold at after market parts stores do not meet OE specs, and will not seal the system correctly.

If the cap is good, then the next course of action is to have the EVAP System "smoked". This is where a machine forces smoke through the system and any leaks can then be found and repaired more easily. The price of this test varies from shop to shop, but the average is roughly $125-$175.

If the smoke test proves no leaks, then the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor will need to be tested and inspected. This sensor sells for around $65 and the Labor Time Guide calls for 1.8 hours to replace it. Labor rates vary from shop to shop, so what you pay for labor will effect the bot***** *****ne. For a job of this type, a "fair" labor rate can be anywhere from $85-$125 per hour.

Please remember to leave a rating using the 'stars' or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 9 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Any other questions you had? Was there something you wanted addressed that I may have missed in my answer? Did you find my answer helpful and informative?