Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics
18617752

Can you answer Cadillac SRX questions? 2010, No - Last year

Can you answer Cadillac SRX questions?
JA: What year is your SRX?
Customer: 2010
JA: Are you fixing your SRX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No - Last year (to this exact date) I had to get the purge valve replaced. Now, today, they said I need a vent valve replaced. Are they two different things? I'm a female and took it to cadillac dealer as I was told they are the only ones to get the "check engine light off". They quoted me $950 to replace vent valve. Ugh.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Stays on
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No - just want to make sure that's a fair price and not fixing the same thing I did a year ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron Z and I'll be helping you with your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and prepare your answer. Be right back!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok thanks.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm at work so I'm not able to talk.

Thanks for holding!

Ok. The Purge Solenoid Valve and the Vent Valve are in fact two different items. Both are part of the EVAP (emissions control/recovery) Systems, but each plays a different role in keeping the system running. Unfortunately, both are actually fairly common fail items. So one to fail one year, and the other to fail a year later is actually extremely possible.

As for the price- the Vent Valve sells for around $84 and the Labor Time Guide calls for 3.5 hours to replace. This is actually a bit on the high side. Shouldn't take that long at all. But... Dealers will always use the Labor Time Guide for billing purposes. Labor rates vary from shop to shop, so what you pay for labor will effect the bot***** *****ne. For a job of this type, a "fair" labor rate can be anywhere from $85-$125 per hour. SO, even using the high-end labor rate, it appears $950 is much too high. Might be a good idea to shop around and get a second estimate.

Please remember to leave a rating using the 'stars' or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok - thanks. I just wanted to make sure the same thing wasn't being repaired again. Appreciate your help! 5 stars!!!

You're welcome! Glad I could be of some help today! Please remember to use the stars at the top of the page to leave your rating! Have a great day!