Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air Conditioning systems
45790705

1996 GMC K2500 Suburban. Need to change to expansion valve

1996 GMC K2500 Suburban. Need to change to expansion valve on rear ac as part of a significant ac component change (compressor, dryer, orifice tube, and rear expansion valve). Without cutting a hole in the side of the ducting (as seen in some home videos) what are the RIGHT ways to access the expansion valve for replacement and line flushing?

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

give some time, will put a file together & I will send you all the steps of R & R and diagrams to help you do it .

Chad

Remove or Disconnect 1. Negative battery cable. 2. Engine coolant. 3. Recover refrigerant. 4. Instrument panel. See: Instrument Cluster / Carrier > Procedures 5. Electrical connectors, as necessary. 6. Center floor air distribution duct. 7. ECM and mounting tray (diesel engines only). 8. Hinge pillar trim panels. 9. Blower motor cover. 10. Blower motor (60). 11. Steering column. 12. Tilt back instrument panel assembly. 13. Coolant recovery reservoir. 14. Heater hoses. 15. Evaporator tube. 16. Accumulator. 17. Screws (52 and 64). 18. Nut (50). 19. Screw (56). 20. Module assembly (57). - May be necessary to have an assistant when removing module assembly. 21. Evaporator case bottom cover plate (63). - Remove the seven screws that hold the cover plate to the module assembly. 22. Heater core and seal from module assembly. 23. Evaporator case cover (61). - Remove the four screws that hold the case cover to the module assembly. 24. Evaporator core. Install or Connect 1. Evaporator core. 2. Evaporator case cover (61). - Install the four screws that hold the case cover to the module assembly. 3. Heater core and seal into module assembly. 4. Evaporator case bottom cover plate (63). - Install the seven screws that hold the cover plate to the module assembly. 5. Module assembly (57). - May be necessary to have an assistant when installing module assembly. 6. Screw (56). 7. Nut (50). 8. Screws (52 and 64). Tighten ^ Screw (56) to 11 Nm (97 lb in). ^ Nut (50) to 2.8 Nm (25 lb in). ^ Screws (52 and 64) to 1.9 Nm (17 lb in). 9. Accumulator. 10. Evaporator tube. 11. Heater hoses. 12. Coolant recovery reservoir. 13. Instrument panel. 14. Steering column. 15. Blower motor (60). 16. Blower motor cover. 17. Hinge pillar trim panels. 18. ECM and mounting tray. 19. Center floor air distribution duct. 20. Electrical connectors, as necessary. 21. Engine coolant. 22. Negative battery cable. 23. Charge system. 24. Check system for leaks.

Removal 1. Negative battery cable. 2. Cup holder. ^ Remove screw under holder and slide out I/P. 3. Instrument cluster bezel. ^ The bezel is retained by four clips across the top edge and three along the bottom. 4. Electrical connections for headlamp switch, dimmer control and accessory switches. 5. Four screws retaining instrument cluster. 6. Instrument cluster from vehicle. ^ Keep fingers and other foreign objects away from the flexible circuit connections. Install 1. Press instrument cluster into instrument panel. 2. Instrument cluster hold-down screws. ^ Electrical connections for headlamp, dimmer control and accessory switches. 3. Instrument cluster bezel. 4. Negative battery cable.

please Let me know if that is what you looking for

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chad, thanks for the quick response. the focus is on the REAR HVAC assembly in order to get to the expansion valve for the REAR a/c. What you sent me seems to focus on the front.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I could have been a bit more clear that I need help accessing/replacing the expansion valve on the REAR a/c.

ok no problem let me send you that

Remove or Disconnect 1. Negative battery cable. 2. Recover refrigerant. 3. Rear quarter interior trim, as necessary. 4. Right rear quarter trim panel. 5. Right rear wheelhouse. 6. Rear heater hoses from auxiliary heater core (32), if equipped. 7. Auxiliary refrigerant hoses (20 and 21) from auxiliary evaporator (26). 8. Electrical connectors, as necessary.

9. Heater/evaporator case cover. A. Remove case clip. B. Remove eleven case screws. C. Separate case halves. 10. Pipe insulator 11. Evaporator core (26). Install or Connect 1. Evaporator core (26). 2. Pipe insulator. 3. Heater/evaporator case cover and screws. Case clip. 4. Auxiliary heater case to the vehicle. 5. Auxiliary refrigerant hoses (20 and 21) to auxiliary evaporator (26). 6. Rear heater hoses to auxiliary heater core (32), if equipped. 7. Electrical connectors, as necessary. 8. Right rear wheelhouse. 9. Right rear quarter trim panel. 10. Rear-quarter interior trim, as necessary. 11. Negative battery cable. 12. Charge system. 13. Check system for leaks.

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Apreciatted

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat
ASE Certfied Technicia
n

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is much better! Is there an available exploded view of the inside of the Heater/evaporator case showing the expansion valve and the evaporator core?

let me check , i think i sent you all i had , but i will double check , i have another system i will check on too

be right back

Rear units use an Expansion Valve exploded view

it will be number #23 in the diagram i just sent you

Please don't forget to Rate Me before You exit since that is how get compensated for our time:)

Chad

Hey paul , the evaparator core will be # 9 in the diagram

good luck

Chad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chad, that one is very helpful. Now I just have to the follow directions.

ok good , i m glad it was .

take pictures before , so if you forget you can go back and check

Chad

Thank You For The rating :)

IF you need my assistance in future on a different issue , just start your question with ( FOR CHAD FARHAT ONLY) & they will send it to me

or There will be a tab on your screen if you enter my profile ,that says Request this expert again , either way will work.