Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

My 2000 Chevy express 2500 van did give me trouble starting

Customer Question

My 2000 Chevy express 2500 van did give me trouble starting in the rain as described above. Now it will start but not run (like it has just that much gas in a carburetor if it had one) would this be caused by the PCS/ecru going bad?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

what size engine is in this van ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
5.7
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

when it will not start does it have spark and fuel pressure ?

how old is the cap and rotor ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
They are about a year old. It is only hard to start on rainy days after it has sat without being started. Fuel pressure? I couldn't tell you. It would start and run fine after the initial trouble starting, but this time is different it will start then shut off like it's not getting any more fuel, it's never done that before not even when the in tank fuel pump went bad, then it just wouldn't start at all like it had no gas at all.
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

at this point can you see if it will run on starting fluid ?

alot of times when they act up when its just dam ends up being a bad cap and rotor with moisture in it or a cracked coil and a few with bad wires

if it will not run on starting fluid it should be a spark issue due to a bad cap and rotor or coil

dont forget to rate us here

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I've tried starter fluid, again it starts but only for those few seconds until the fuel seems to be gone.
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

if it runs on starting fluid its missing fuel

can you check and see what the fuel pressure is reading key ON engine OFF with a fuel pressure gauge connected to the test port on the fuel line next to the distributor ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I picked up a fuel gauge and will check the pressure today
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Gary
I checked the pressure I have 60psi with the key on and motor not running
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

ok great

so it has good fuel pressure

so again if it will run on added fuel the only thing left is the computer not firing the injections unit to send in fuel

this can be caused by the security system not reading the key locking out the fuel injector pulse or the computer itself bad

see if it has an injector pulse when cranking it over

unplug the big injector connector key ON 8 terminals in the connector you unplugged should show 12 volts then connect a test light with the clip to a confirmed good 12 volts and the other 8 terminals should blink a good ground which you should see your test light bulb blink

dont forget to rate us here