Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I have a 02 trail blaser runs and drives ok but there is a

Customer Question
Hi i have a 02...
Hi i have a 02 trail blaser runs and drives ok but there is a code, p1345 i replace cam position sensor and camshaft valve actuator solenoid. Erase code and it comes back couple min later.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
10/13/2016
Chevy Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help,

The only other thing in the procedure is to ensure the solenoid has power and a good connection to the computer and that the balancer is tight on the crankshaft.

Have you done those tests and do you understand what the code means?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can u tell me steps how to check it and esplain alittle. Thanks

The code is for the cam sensor signal and the crank sensor signal not lining up. It might be that the cam actuator does not move the camshaft or that the cam chain is stretched. The computer may not be controlling the cam solenoid if the wire is broken.

The check is to be sure you have power to the solenoid with the key on and then continuity between the solenoid connector and the computer.

On the crankshaft the balancer might have loosened or was not torqued properly causing vibrations in the crankshaft. The bolt has to be tight and torqued properly. There are two possible balancers and the second design with new oil seal should be installed

Any work done on the engine lately? How many miles on it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No work done on it latelly!! Has 140k

OK then you need to check the cam vs. the crank signals for timing.

You replaced the cam solenoid but did you confirm that it operates and that you have power to it?

What test equipment do you have? Scantool that shows data? DVOM?

Maybe an oscilloscope?

I don't know if you have seen this video

click here

Control of the Cam Phaser Actuator solenoid is inhibited when a P0016 (04 Model Year) or P1345 (02 - 03 Model Year) DTC is stored.

• If this DTC started after recent internal engine repairs, inspect for proper engine mechanical timing. With the camshaft cover removed and the #1 cylinder at top dead center, make sure that the darkened chain links are lined up with the alignment marks on the exhaust and intake cam sprockets. At this point, J44221 should fit over the rear cam flats and the word Delphi (on the front of the Cam Phaser Actuator sprocket) should be parallel with the front edge of the cylinder head. Note: It may take up to 14 crankshaft revolutions before all timing alignment marks line up with each other.

• Engines built after 2/5/01 include a thin friction washer (P/N 12573950) between the dampener and the crank gear and the torque specification was increased to 110 ft-lbs plus 180 degrees to prevent crankshaft gear and alignment pin damage. If there is any history of the crank dampener bolt ever being loose, the crankshaft gear and alignment pin may be damaged, which can cause these DTCs.

• If a P0016 or P1345 is resetting without any engine performance concerns but the SI diagnostics and the above information did not isolate a cause for the DTC, replace the Cam Phaser Actuator sprocket.

.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

I would be pulling the dampener and checking the washer, if there is any hint that the dampener is loose replace it with the new style after installing the new style oil seal in the front cover

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is no power to solenoid valve with koeo. Can u tell me which fuse to check please.

Hello again,

Give me a few minutes to access my information database.....

No fuse, the power comes from the computer.

I see you asked this question to another tech, why didn't you follow up with him?

Have you checked the information I provided before? What did you find?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There should be power with koeo right? So we have to work on this before i check inside the engine dont u think?

Not necessarily if you have codes set for the solenoid. If you have the P0016 or P1345 codes they solenoid will not be energized.

I think you need to follow the TSBs as they relate directly to the codes you have.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If i have a new solenoid and not getting power even with koeo something electrical not working right. Can u tell me from were on the pcm i suppost to be getting power so i can check please

Did you see my reply above where I said the computer will turn off the solenoid if you have those codes set? You need to get the computer happy before you look to the actuation of the solenoid.

George H.
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician