GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

We have a 2014 chevy van express 3500. The van won't start

Customer Question

we have a 2014 chevy van express 3500. The van won't start and when we try and turn the ignition to start, a horrible screeching sound comes from the fuse box in the engine compartment. Doesn't seem to be coming from the starter
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Do you know what is making this screeching noise? Can you take a video and upload it and send it to me so I can hear it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems to be coming from the fuse box in the engine compartment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not at the van. I can try and upload a video, but would be difficult
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Could it be from one of the relays?

Does this only happen when you turn the key to the CRANK position or does this happen when you turn the key to the "RUN" position?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what could go wrong in the fuse box to prevent it from starting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just crank position.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nevermind, it makes it once in the run position
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

It could be a relay due to a bad connection or low voltage. Have you checked the battery?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the feedback. I have dispatched a tow truck to see if they can get it working. I will let you know if it is the battery.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Ok, keep in mind, without me hearing this noise and without knowing the current battery voltage it is hard for me to say for sure. I am just giving you some ideas to try and help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand, thanks. He said that when the key was in the run position, it was stating 12v.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Ok, then the battery should be ok. I suspect it might be a bad connection at the fuse block or a bad fuse block. But again, it is hard to say without looking or doing any testing. Let me know.