Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

Don't want to start we were installing a new radio after

Customer Question

don't want to start we were installing a new radio after that it didnt want to start took to dealer ship they just mess up more
JA: Have you checked the fuse?
Customer: the dealer change cluster and hardness and still didnt want to
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2008 silverado 2500hd
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: we are looking for broken ground wire i have a buddy help me after we took out from dealer and they charger me almost 1000
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: it was working good after we install radio we were looking for bluetooh wire to connect to mic
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
we check fuse that was the frist thing we did
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
dont tell me you are a scamm too i just got scam i got my money back it say five buck only now you want me to pay more am calling my bank right now if you are a scam too
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

This website is not a scam.

Here are a few things that has to happen when you first turn the key to run, the check engine and security light come on and the fuel pump prime for about 2 seconds, then after 10 seconds or so, the check engine and security lights should go out, then turn the key to start and the starter should crank the engine over. Does all of this occur or do any of those check engine or security lights stay on or flash, does the fuel pump run and does the starter crank the engine over fast enough to start?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is on theft mode
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

What? Say that again.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

I gave you at least 3 things to check and you just say "is on theft mode", what does that mean?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Does all of this occur or do any of those check engine or security lights stay on or flash, does the fuel pump run and does the starter crank the engine over fast enough to start?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

I assume you are saying the security or theft light is on, does it flash and does the fuel pump run and does the starter crank the engine over fast enough to start?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

If you need a few minutes to go back outside and check, that is ok.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We changing the radio and it went into theft mode it font want to do nothing not even crank
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No communication to bcm the truck don't start at all yes fuel pump has power something happen when we try to connect the mic wire to the new radio
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Ok, first of all you should have had the battery disconnected before replacing the radio, nonetheless, give me a second to get the wiring diagram and find out what to start testing.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Which engine came in this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We did had battery disconnect
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

ok, Which engine came in this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
6.0
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Almost there, now is it 4wd or rwd and auto or manual transmission?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No 4x4 auto gas
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Ok, when you turn the key to start, can you hear the starter relay in the underhood fuse block click? To be sure, remove that fuse box cover put your fingertips on that starter relay and have someone else turn the key to start and let me know if it clicks or not.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it doed
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Ok, great, now using a voltmeter or 12 volt test light, let me know if the strtr fuse #62 has voltage to both sides of it when the key is on start.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it does
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Ok, how much voltage or did you use a test light?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

That fuse feeds power to the starter relay, so if the battery is fully charged and the starter wires are tight and there is 12 volts down at the purple wire on the starter solenoid, then either the starter is bad, or it's not grounding back to the battery.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I try it again tomorrow to send some more info I have to go for now
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

I am done, I gave my answer. I asked you how much voltage and you quit?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i use a test light we already check everthing you say from the begging i had to got do my job is not that quit on you i want my truck fix you think i pay for nothing just play around no sir am not ill contact you again
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Make sure you check the grounds, too if the starter wires/cables are tight. Actually you should try to jump 12 volts right to the starter solenoid terminal.